Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Moving a lathe

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fullmer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Moving a lathe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Found a nice old leblond lathe but I found it weighs 3,000lbs how do I move it into barn without hi-lo?

Ted in NE-OH

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Moving a lathe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I moved mine with a steel bed tilt trailer and slid it off and then used rollers.

Ken Macfarlane
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Moving a lathe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No loader? We moved a big counter top saw with a 60$ used 5000 lb pallet jack and careful blocking and planking for the jack to roll on. Sheets of 3/4 plywood work good if you can get the ground level under them. Leave a little step between planks or sheets. Easy to go down but the little wheels on the tips won't go up much of a bump.

Butch(OH)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Moving a lathe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As Ted said. Be carefull when moving it as a lathe is more top heavy than it appears to be and lots of them have tipped over when moving, the result isnt pretty.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Moving a lathe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I moved ours by lifting it with a front end loader on and off the trailer. I set it at the edge of the building just inside the door. We have concrete floor so there was just enough room for small floor jacks under each end lift enough to take the weight off and then push it where it needs to go. I don't think ours was that big though. You maybe can rent some machine moving dollys or maybe the call them floats ? Little metal boxes with rollers built into them you set under the machines to push them on.

NCWayne
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Moving a lathe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hopefully the seller can load it for you so that won't be an issue. Once you get it home make sure that regardless of what you pick it with that the middle of the bed ways are supported. The worst thing you can do to a lathe is to pick it from the ends and let the middle hand free to sag. The longer the bed, the more important this is.

Now, once off the trailer, or out of the truck, if you've got a dirt floor I don't know what to tell you if you don't have a lift. Now if it's concrete, and it really needs to be to set a lathe on, use steel rollers. The milling machine I've got weights nearly 6000 lbs and I used about eight 1 1/2" diameter steel tubes to roll it from the door to it''s final resting place. With a couple of people it's not hard to do, but when doing it by yourself it's a real challange, to say the least.

glennster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Moving a lathe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i moved my radial drill and lathe by myself. drill weighs close to 7k pounds. i used bridge timbers (6x6) and some 2 inch pipe. bolt the 6x's to the bottom of the lathe, then use the pipes as rollers to move across the floor. i used a come-along to pull it. take your time, not bad to move.

Dick L
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Moving a lathe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It be me, I'd rent a forklift. Only take minutes and no broken toes or lathe parts.

I move my old South Bend lathe quite often. Drive the forks under the bed lift and go. I move it back and forth from production to the tool shop.

decent truck

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Moving a lathe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you can get a forklift in to move the machine hiring an equipment mover might be the way to go.
I received a quote recently to move a 2400lb lathe.
200 dollars
The seller would not allow me to move it myself inside his shop (commercial operation).
The mover was coming from 20 miles away and placing it onto my equipment trailer. Well worth 200 dollars

If you can't lift the weight back at your shop dis-assemble the machine.
Call surplus equipment dealers. They may also have a better deal on a machine for you. Prices are real low at the moment on quality machines.

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Moving a lathe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The last one I moved... I got a set of forks under the ways and lifted it from there. It's a very tedious operation... not wanting to drop it or smash the pans...
Otherwise I'd say you'll ned to put it on a good solid skid and mabey use a couple of pallet jacks.

Rod

Bama Dee
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Moving a lathe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When we moved my 6 foot bed South Bend, we bolted two 2x8x8 to the feet with carrage bolts-pulled it onto a rollback wreaker with the wench, drove across town into my shop and slid it into position--I don't think it would be this easy for everybody--so good luck & be carefull.

DENNIS MIN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving a lathe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with the advise the roller method with stout pull points below the center of gravity.

D.

caterpillar guy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving a lathe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rent some machinery dollies, is what they're called they go under each corner will roll real easy with them on a concrete floor. You will need a concrete floor for it anyway. Would be best if you can have at least 6" thick where it sets helps to keep it level. It will also need to be leveled when set up to cut straight. Not a hard job some steel plate about 4" square would bw big enough about 1/2" thick then use the adjusting screws on the bottom of the legs to set it.

Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving a lathe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fullmer,
I have an old chain hoist. Big chain hoist. Have a steel I bean garage. It lifted a very big lathe. I would reinforce the rafters of barn and hoist it off trailer.

If you live close to Terre Haute, I'll let you use the old chain hoist. I think it's rated at 4000 lb. You pull and pull on the chain at get it to lift a little.

Left my email open if interested in my offer.
George

huntingreen2day2
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving a lathe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Once I got mine on the concrete floor I used 2 floor jacks and some 4 x 4 lumber. I had to move it about 50 ft. No problem. Getting it off my trailer and onto the floor was another deal. Had to call in a friend with a 100 HP tractor and it was a load on it. Might still be sitting on the trailer if he had not been able to do it.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters