Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New carb on CA floods

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sel Larsen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: New carb on CA floods Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I installed a new Zenith carb from YT on our '55 Allis CA. In the cooler part of the day it seems to work well (I'm in AZ at 5000 ft. elevation). Right now we use it to pull a pumpkinfest haywagons at about 1/2 throttle - park it for 10 minutes - load wagon and then drive for 10 min. and do this all day long. Later in the day when I start it it is obviously flooded. Gas sometimes comes out the little drain hole at the bottom of the carb opening. My old carb did the same. Anyone with an answer why? Friend said it was typical of Zeniths but its messing my restored paint job on the block up!! Don't like it!

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: New carb on CA floods Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check your fuel tank vent and make sure it is not clogged up. Pressure build up in the tank will cause that and as the day gets hotter so does the tank and that in turn can build up pressure and that pressure has to go some place and in this case maybe high enough to push the needle out of the seat and cause it to flood

Sel Larsen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: New carb on CA floods Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good thought. I'll try that. Last year the old gasket was so dried up gas would slosh out onto the tank on rough ground and mess up THAT paint and I replaced it. Maybe I did too good of a job!

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: New carb on CA floods Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One simple easy way to check that is when it messes up loosen the cap slowly and listen for pressure escaping from the tank. If you hear that then you know you got a problem

Kip-Utah
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New carb on CA floods Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sel, that's a pretty CA too!! So I can see why you don't want to mess it up! Are any of you guys from AZ coming up to the Regional EDGE Show in Cedar City next week? Kip

John B.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New carb on CA floods Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If your cap vent isn't clogged and working properly, pull the carb apart and check to make sure the seat is screwed into the carb body tight, make sure there is a gasket on the seat too! I've had so many people bring their carbs to me and tell me it drips. I ask them if it's new or if some one has had it apart. Most of the time it was one or the other. Many times there were no gaskets on the back of the seat or it wasn't tight in the body. Once that is all okay check your sediment bowl and make sure it has a screen on the top of it so no debris gets to the carb and causes your needle to remain open.
If your cap vent is clogged that can be dangerous and cause an explosion, this is why back in the early 1980's IH came out with free gas caps for older tractors that didn't have the new style cap.

Sel Larsen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New carb on CA floods Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Kip for the good words. Your B (if I recall correctly) was not too shabby either! I don't personally know of anyone going your way fro the Mile High Club or the Phoenix club. I'd love to but other obligations keep us close in Prescott. Hope you have a great show and wonderful holidays!!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.