Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Green Loctite

View previous topic :: View next topic  
S.C.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Green Loctite Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Anyone ever use the green loctite threadlocker? It's the kind you can use on things that are already assembled. It's supposed to "creep" into the threads. Just wondered if you have to use heat to get it apart. The only kind I use is the blue because some things I don't want to burn the paint off of heating to get back apart.

M-MAN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Green Loctite Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Green sets up hard and brittle and is permanent. I thought the american version was just used as a sleeve and bearing retainer on worn shaft's? Don't like the red for the same reason.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Green Loctite Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My experience with green is that one should use it on things that they never, ever want to take apart again!

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Green Loctite Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Green is generally a sleeve and bearing retainer for a cheap nasty fix on a poor fit. When used cold it's a permanent set up. If you apply a modest amount of heat tho... mabey 3-400 degrees and it turns to goo again. No problem to remove something when it's hot... but when it's cold, forget about it. Stuff gonna break.

Rod

Uncle Ernie
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Green Loctite Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have to heat it to above 300* F. to get it to release. It DOES bond!We use it on shafts to set tapers and sleeves that we want to make dang sure will never move again. And it works!

Bud in WV
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Green Loctite Reply to specific post Reply with quote

And red has to be hotter than green to release. I've seen threads strip before red turned loose.

Frankmn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Green Loctite Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know if you weld up cracks in your shovelhead gas tank, and you just can't seem to get it sealed you can put green locktite on the hot metal, let it cool and the leaks will be sealed. I lasts a good long time too, even with the vibration.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Green Loctite Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As others have said I have used green for sleeve glue. I have some other Loctite that is for already assembled fittings, or fasteners. I want to say that it is pale yellow. So far I have used it only once or twice and it seems to work

Butch(OH)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Green Loctite Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You guys are talking about two differant products. OP was talking about 290 which is sold as a wicking type and yes I have used it and it works OK. The others are talking about 640 sleeve retainer, both are green.

Last edited by Butch(OH) on Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Uncle Ernie
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: Green Loctite Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You are looking for Locktite 290.
There is also 680 which is a cylindrical parts bonder.
Both products are heat released at 250* C. which is 482* F.
Locktite 290

Stovepipe
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Green Loctite Reply to specific post Reply with quote

S.C. wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:05:06 10/20/12) Anyone ever use the green loctite threadlocker? It's the kind you can use on things that are already assembled. It's supposed to "creep" into the threads. Just wondered if you have to use heat to get it apart. The only kind I use is the blue because some things I don't want to burn the paint off of heating to get back apart.

Yes the loctite you speak of really does creep into the threads. You absolutely DO need heat to get it apart. I've used it on snowmobile clutches, where 2 parts are threaded together, and the factory uses the 290 loctite. You heat it up good with the propane torch and it melts like butter.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.