Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

to35,z134 overhaul update

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed H.-OH
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: to35,z134 overhaul update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Guys Hello, Me and my son pulled the engine the rest of the way down, I"m pleased to say there are no signs of cracks in the webbing.Everything is in remarkably good shape for a 57 yr. old engine. I bought $780.00 worth of parts today, Including head kit with new valves and guides,springs, oil pump kit,liners and pistons,all new bearings . The liner that leaked was rotting around the packing(see pic). Now it"s just a matter of cleaning it up and reassembly.OLD HARRY"S GOING TO ROAR AGAIN LOL -CHEERS -ED

miner09
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: to35,z134 overhaul update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When you put headbolts back in block put Permatex on threads so they will not leak.This is a problem they have.

Ed H.-OH
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: to35,z134 overhaul update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Miner, Thanks for the heads up, Will do-ed

PackardV8
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: to35,z134 overhaul update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ed. Many thanks for posting the pics. That is the first time i've ever seen inside of a Ferguson block ( with head removed) despite the fact i have a factory service manual,parts cataloug as well as owners manual and an IT service manual.

WHile u have it apart. Cheque the valve push rod chamber in the block. Does the chamber run full length of the block or is it 4 seperate chambers, one chamber for each cylinders 2wo push rods.

The reason i ask is that if at some future date cracks should occur at the lower cylinder webs (apparently many such reports) then knowing how to drill the block to install a threaded rod transversly thru the block is important. Mite want to mark the block externaly for future hole drilling reference should it become necessary.

Last edited by PackardV8 on Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
PackardV8
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: to35,z134 overhaul update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hmmmmmmmm. On second thot, after viewing the pics with a bit more study it appears that the cyl head stud bosses extend all of the way thru the height of the block. Therefore attempting to drill block Xversely for a long pinch bolt may be impossible or very poor idea.

Jerry/MT
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: to35,z134 overhaul update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The webs between the cylinders seem thicker (~2X) than they are on the Z120 and Z129 blocks.
Good luck on the overhaul and let us know how it goes.

PackardV8
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: to35,z134 overhaul update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here is a pic of my TE20 Z120 cylinder web from the UNDER side. Between #3 and #4.

PackardV8
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: to35,z134 overhaul update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Since the cylinder liner is corroded then is the corresponding area of the block as equally corroded????? If so then that mite create a sealing problem.

Ed H.-OH
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: to35,z134 overhaul update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jerry, Hello, How are things out in the big empty,I have never seen the z120-29 but i have heard other people say the same thing, so i beleave you are correct.
I cannot tell you how pleased i am That it going to go back together ok, as i like that old tractor. -ed

Ed H.-OH
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: to35,z134 overhaul update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Packard Hi!, The block bore is fine, just eat the liner, As for the bolts through the block, I have never seen the inside of one that has been done so like you I can only guess how they did it. The bolts only show on the oil fill side as i recall. They must drill through the stud bosses and tap the hole in the one near the cam. Someone in my area is doing it as i've seen a coupple of them. I wish i could be more help-ed

Duner Wi
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: to35,z134 overhaul update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pretty sure I have seen pictures on this site of bolted blocks but I can't find them now. I did find this.
smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63589

Ed H.-OH
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: to35,z134 overhaul update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Duner,Hello, Thanks for the information. Mine is not cracked, but if it was I would attempt the bolt thing for sure as the block is junk anyway.
I'm sure if the crack is pulled shut and supported it could be sealed up and save the block.The one's i seen looks like they drilled midway between the top and bottom web to support both. If the botom web is only cracked it looks to me that you could go strait through the block with a rod just below the crack and avoid drilling the stud bosses. the rod would just clear going over the cam and out through the block behind the starter. The block is tapered there on carb side,so you would have to make a tapered washer to conform. I hope i don't have to go there as the overhaul is enough for me, I'm interested in it as it would be nice to help people with this problem.-ed

Jerry/MT
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: to35,z134 overhaul update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pretty dry over here! Need some rain. I"ve had to start feeding the pairs and we"ll be preg checking the cows and weaning the calves this weeekend. It"ll be noisey for few days.

PackardV8
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: to35,z134 overhaul update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

DUner. Thanks for the Smokestak.com link. Very helpful. I mite have to do the threaded rod trick after all. The SmokeStak article answers alot of questions. -PV8

Duner Wi
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: to35,z134 overhaul update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I thought you might find it interesting.
Hope I never have to try it.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.