Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

drill bits

View previous topic :: View next topic  
red pocadot
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: drill bits Reply to specific post Reply with quote

need some good drill bits where to buy and what kind to look for need some to drill some pilot holes to screw down trailer boards down the ones i have been using do not last long thanks

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: drill bits Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Cobalt. Not the name, the material. Buy them at your local independently owned hardware store.

Rollie NE PA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: drill bits Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It might be a good idea to learn how to sharpen the ones you have and save some money. Use a little WD 40 when drilling.

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: drill bits Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Cobalt bits stay sharp a long time but are VERY brittle and will break off with the slightest side pressure. They work best in a drill press. I always buy the kind with the self starting tips, they seem to stay sharp longer. And with a little practice you can sharpen them pretty quickly on a bench grinder to keep them working longer. You will loose the selfstart tho.

D7fever
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: drill bits Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They make some really good self drilling and tapping screws made especially for screwing wood to metal, they work real good and much easier that drilling holes. I discovered them at Fastenal, probably cheaper than buying drills. I was able to put them in with a battery drill driver.

da.bees
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: drill bits Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I feel it's worth extra cost for self drilling screws on some projects.

Gary from Muleshoe
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: drill bits Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I used them when I put a new floor in my trailer, worked great. I got mine at Lowe's. Probably gave to much for them but it did the job in half.

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: drill bits Reply to specific post Reply with quote

SOme decent quality HSS bits are usually about as good as you'll get for general work. I've had cheap HSS, good HSS, titanium coated, and cobalt and nearly always keep coming back to the HSS. I've got more sets (or remaining partial sets) of cheap HSS bits around here than I care to count. Cobalt is great for drilling very hard steel... but as someone else said... the slightest side load and they break. They're a lot of money for continously broken bits. Sometime you get lucky and the tips break off... but usually NOT.
Just sharpen the better HSS stuff and you'll get along fine.

Rod

55deere70
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: drill bits Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Drill Doctors work great for sharpening dull bits.I had a drawer full of dull bits and the drill doctor has saved me lots of money. Fast and accurate.

jeffcat
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: drill bits Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Go to the Fastnail Store. The Viking drill bits are USA made and work great!! I have the complete set and use them for very "carefull" kinds of work and not for general drilling. Check them out! They are 135 split point so NO pilot hole and they don"t skid around. jeffcat

rodm1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: drill bits Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Harry Epstein has Norseman no sets but grate prices.

http://store.harryepstein.com/search?q=Norseman

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.