Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Allis 66 upper draper

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilamayb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Allis 66 upper draper Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We finally took the 66 to the soybean field today after its resurrection. The new upper canvas likes to slip. This is the new style canvas. The old canvas was very pliable. The new one is much more rigid. It does not conform well to the drive roller.

Has anyone else had this problem with the canvases?

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Allis 66 upper draper Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Someone recently mentioned getting new canvasses and having to put in stronger springs. ??? Would that help? I've also heard of our local Amish getting the new non-canvass canvasses and using rosin and pine tar or even a bit of roofing tar on the rolls if the canvass didn't have enough grip to it.

Charlie M
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Allis 66 upper draper Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I put one on mine this year. I cut the slots into it like the old ones have so I could shorten it. I don't know if its the right thing to do but it worked.

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Allis 66 upper draper Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Spray a bit of belt dressing on the drive roller, I had to do that on my 77 case this year. On mine it was just because the canvas was old and dry and too slippery.

Paul from MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis 66 upper draper Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There are no springs on the upper canvas, only the lower. The upper canvas has to be tightened when flipped up, then when it is folded down into position it will tighten itself. Tightening a new stiff canvas can be a two man job. Stiffer springs did help a lot to keep my lower canvas from slipping.

wilamayb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis 66 upper draper Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well as a temporary fix we ended up putting some 3M step tape on the drive roller to give it some grip. It worked out just fine. I think if we can ever get the new canvas broken in things will be fine. We cut a few acres of beans today after church and the tape seemed to cure our problem.

The new canvas it plenty tight. The manual warn about having less than 1" of sag. We did cut slits in the new one just like the old canvas had. Putting it on and tightening it up really was not that big of a deal. It was a touch too wide. We had to cut off about 1/4 of an inch or so to make it narrow enough to run in its track.

combinechris
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Allis 66 upper draper Reply to specific post Reply with quote

do you have amish near you who make canvas boat covers? they can makje the drapers for you using less stiff canvas.i have mine made from them for my allis combines.i just have to put my slats on myself from the old drapers

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Combines and Harvesters All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.