Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EP-0 Grease

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGF
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: EP-0 Grease Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I recently bought a 6' Kodiak mower. The manual says to use EP-0 grease in the gearbox. So far all I get in local stores when I ask for it is a blank stare. I know the EP series of grease/oils have special shear properties but is there a more available "correct" alternative or is this stuff that hard to find?

SW3
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: EP-0 Grease Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello, what you need is John Deere Corn Head grease. It has the NLGI rating of 0 (ep-0) I have a tube in the garage. I used it for the steering box on my tractor with great results. It is made for steering boxes and gear boxes. It will not leak out of old seals like gear oil.

The following table shows the NLGI classification and compares each grade with household products of similar consistency.

NLGI consistency numbers:
000 445-475 fluid cooking oil
00 400-430 semi-fluid apple sauce
0 355-385 very soft brown mustard
1 310-340 soft tomato paste
2 265-295 "normal" grease peanut butter
3 220-250 firm vegetable shortening
4 175-205 very firm frozen yogurt
5 130-160 hard smooth pate
6 85-115 very hard cheddar cheese

Billy NY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: EP-0 Grease Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You'll have to find someone who sells it in smaller quantities, I can source it from a lube supplier, but you have to get a 5 gallon pail, book on my old Rhino SE-6 calls for the same, I use a lucas 90wt if I recall correctly, would have to look in the garage. I don't see any 0 grease on the shelf, given the small quantity the gearbox takes, I just went with the next best thing. It might be a tad more viscous, it does not leak through the seals, gear box don't get hot either, just slightly warm.

JMS./MN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: EP-0 Grease Reply to specific post Reply with quote

AGCO dealers also have it in small tubes- used on the NI Discbine.

Longmeadow farm
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: EP-0 Grease Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I also use EP-0 grease in my NI 5209 disc mower conditioner. I found the "stuff" at my AGCO dealer and Tractor Supply, but had to search a bit. A small tube tops off all my 5209 pods. I used some high grade grease one year but I was surprised to find that my 5209 pods heated up a bit more, especially the two pods that have to sling the grass for the far left and far right pods.

wilder11354
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: EP-0 Grease Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yes the JD corn head grease is NGLI-0 polyurea base. Gearbox on my CIH 8340 calls for ep-0 litium soap base. similar properties, but distinctly different.

wilder11354
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: EP-0 Grease Reply to specific post Reply with quote

got some at work, will get maunfacturer, trade name for it. Shell i beleive.

HayDR
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: EP-0 Grease Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Manufacturer Lubricant
Amoco Oil Co. - Rykon Grease #0 EP
BP Oil Co.- Energrease LS-EP0
Cheron U.S.A., Inc. -Dura-Lith EP0
Citgo Petrol-Premium Lithium Grease EP0
Conoco Inc. -EP Conolith Grease #0
Exxon Company U.S.A. Lidok EP0
Kendall Refining Co.-Lithium Grease L-406
Mobil Oil Corp. -Mobilux EP0
Petro-Canada-Multipurpose Lotemp EPGrease
Shell Oil Co. -Alvania EP Grease RO
Shell Canada LTD -Alvania Grease EPW
Sun Oil Co. -Sun Prestige 740 EP
Texaco Lubricants-Multifak EP0
Unocal 76 (East & West) Unoba EP0

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.