Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tractor rims

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jr. Roby
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: tractor rims Reply to specific post Reply with quote

what to do with inside of rims. paint em, prime em, oilem, or nothing?

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: tractor rims Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have had leaks from nothing more than rust rubbing on the tube. So I would say that cleaning, acid wash, priming and painting is worth your time if the tractor is to get any use.

GordoSD
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: tractor rims Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sandblast, prime and paint. My local body shop friend will give me some odds and ends urethanes which I put in a gallon can and see what color comes out. Usually a dark gray.
I scored a 700 dollar paint shaker off CL for $75 and I use that to "batch" the paint.
Takes 1 1/2 quarts to do 2 rears and 2 fronts, 3-4 coats.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: tractor rims Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've never had this done but I think it would be a good idea to have the rims hotdipped galvanized. If that isn't possible I believe I would clean the rims and have them powder coated.

GlenIdaho
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: tractor rims Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had my wheels sandblasted and then used POR 15 for the inside surface. It seals the metal and is a tough paint.

Dean Olson
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: tractor rims Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sand blast, prime 2 coats and then paint inside and out. Let set for several weeks so paint is good and cured then have tires mounted.

Put on the tractor and touch up any scratches from installation.

glennster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: tractor rims Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i like the por 15 also on the inside of the rims. dries hard as nails, and if you load tires with calcium for ballast, the por 15 holds up great. also used it on the underside of the mower deck on my ztr mower.

CNKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: tractor rims Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sandblast and use epoxy primer inside and out. You can topcoat the inside if you want, but the epoxy itself will prevent rust, I have done it both ways. I use PPG 8568 acrylic urethane, takes less than a quart for 3 coats on front and rear.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: tractor rims Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't even THINK of powder coat on wheel rims, unless you plan to never mount tires on them or you plan to always keep it indoors. Any little scratch, and the moisture is under the plastic traveling at about an inch per month. I have a PJ trailer with it as well as a thrower on a baler. It is great in its place. I have had a bunch of small parts coated that should never get scratched, but you need to be aware of it's limitations.

El Toro
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: tractor rims Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do what CNKS and Dean suggested. I should've done that on my Sears lawn trailer when I bought it 40 years ago. I have wheel weights made from armor plate that were painted with acid primer in 1972. I never top coated them and they had very little rust when I painted them in 2010. I had to put tubes in the tires on the trailer since the rims had pin holes. Hal

Randy Roberson
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: tractor rims Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think the rims on the AC Model B I restored some years ago were galvanized. I did not know where I could get them dipped, so I sprayed them silver. They have lasted great but She has led a somewhat sheltered life, also.
Good suggestion!

ASEguy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: tractor rims Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I used electrolysis. That method works great if you are busy, but patient. Then as CNKS stated I used epoxy primer and top coated with PPG modified acrlylic enamal. To store the parts without rusting prior to painting I used Picklex. Here it is w/o decals.

redgems
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: tractor rims Reply to specific post Reply with quote

These rims were powder coated and I am very pleased with them

redgems
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: tractor rims Reply to specific post Reply with quote

different views of my 560 powder coated rims

LME
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: tractor rims Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks good. 560 looks better than new.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Paint and Bodywork All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.