Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to Remove Seat Hinge Pins?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Bowman
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: How to Remove Seat Hinge Pins? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This may not be the correct forum, as it's not strictly a Ferguson-related question, but: how do you remove the pins from the seat hinge on a flip-up seat? (TO-20, in my case, but I think the same seat/hinge setup is found on 8N/9N/2N, etc.)

The pins look like they've been peened on both ends, to hold them in place. Do they drive out?

miner09
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Remove Seat Hinge Pins? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just drive out with punch, is what I do.

Tom Bowman
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: How to Remove Seat Hinge Pins? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, Miner.

I'll try a little harder - mine are pretty stubborn.

New replacement hinges come with bolts, instead of pins. Does anyone know the size/specifications on the bolts? (I'd much rather use bolts than mess with the pins again.)

The bolt needs to have a head that's pretty flat, but a large diameter. (The two hinge pins are different lengths, too.)

Thanks again.

John Kruer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Remove Seat Hinge Pins? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is there a recess in the center of the pin with a tab bend into it?

Tom Bowman
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Remove Seat Hinge Pins? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John: there's no recess/tab in the pin that I can see, but the pins seem to be in there pretty solid, so maybe I'm missing something.

I'll take a closer look this evening.

Tom Bowman
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: How to Remove Seat Hinge Pins? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John: Thanks!

Now that I look more carefully, I can see that there's a tab in each side of the hinge that's bent down into a recess in each of the two pins. (Also, now that I know what to look for, I can also see the recess in the hinge pins as pictured in the parts book.)

Do I need to open up the tab with a cold chisel, just enough to get the pins out? (They sure seem too solid to just drive out, without bending the tab up.)

And, unless there's a reason not to, I still plan to replace the pins with bolts, so that I won't need to bend the tab back into the recess in the pins. (Assuming I can get the pins out, that is!)

Also, I checked this site, and elsewhere, and it doesn't look like the center part of the hinge is available - just the part that bolts directly to the seat spring. (The original part numbers are 181338M91 and 181322M1.)

The available replacement hinge looks different from the one on my tractor, and the one in the parts book. (I had considered just getting all new hinge parts.)

One final question: what's the reason for the "double" hinge, anyway? It can't be to just flip the seat up, out of the way, as a "single" hinge would work just as well to do that.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.