Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How convert 8n to keyswitch start only

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trmccrary
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: How convert 8n to keyswitch start only Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does anyone have a diagram of how to make 8n start by turning key on instead of push putton? My dad has it wired but it burns the switch up. Its a 3 wire alt. Its a 52 side mout dist. Thanks

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: How convert 8n to keyswitch start only Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's a good way to hurt yourself or someone else.

If the push button doesn't work, the tractor will start in gear.

It will probably cost you all of $25 to fix it correctly, if that.

I can help you fix it correctly if you would like to do that. Otherwise, someone else will be along to tell you how to wire it for a key start.
50 Tips

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: How convert 8n to keyswitch start only Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with Bruce.
I had a few that came with a key switch and put them all back to using
the neutral safety switch for safety.
Its not hard or expensive to make them work right.

Bob Harvey
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: How convert 8n to keyswitch start only Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry, can't help, nor would I. A 'key only' starting system on a tractor, or lawn tractor likely doesn't exist. There may be a reason.

carlntexas
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: How convert 8n to keyswitch start only Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use the automotive start switch on my 8N it's a better quality switch than the original, but I don't start it with the key switch. I wired it to start with the safety switch and recommend you do the same. Lot of things can happen when in a hurry or just forget and start it in gear and none of them are good.

HCooke
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: How convert 8n to keyswitch start only Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with the other posters. My latest has a automotive type of key start. As soon as my other projects are complete, I will put it back to original.

ZANE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: How convert 8n to keyswitch start only Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't do it! That push button the transmission is there to keep you from getting killed!

Zane

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: How convert 8n to keyswitch start only Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with the others.

I'll tell you haow to convert it back to a themb starter.. likely a 20-30 $ issue if it needs a new thumb switch and soelnoid.. however it's safe.

the key to start systems bypass that safety..

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: How convert 8n to keyswitch start only Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here is the article in the N-News that soundguy & I wrote on replacing the thumb switch. Assuming yours needs to be replaced......and it might not.

50 Tips

Dell (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: How convert 8n to keyswitch start only Reply to specific post Reply with quote

trmccrary........I could but I know electricity and switches. The typical "twist-to-start" ignition switch supplies volts to the starter solenoid. The standard 8N BIG tranny thumb button GROUNDS the HOT solenoid to engage the Bendix solenoid. Just the OPPOSITE of yer typical twist-to-start automotive ignition switch which supplies volts. More better you pay attention to what others say about the SAFETY starter interlock scheme.

Most 8N starter problems are the single wire from middle of solenoid to the BIG starter thumb switch. It gitts BROKE from yer clod-hoppers kicking it as you climb aboard yer tractor. You doubt? Replace it with #14ga stranded automotive wire, enny color works just fine. Simple, eh? ........Dell, a 12V advocate for the right reasons who knows 8-ways to convert and they all work the first time

Paul in Edmonton
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: How convert 8n to keyswitch start only Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You guys should have talked to the PO of my tractor before he made his changes... It's been key start since I've had it, with no tranny lock-out. I think I'd be happier with the lock-out enabled. (Which, of course, shows the original poster that it's possible, even if it's not a good idea.)

-Paul

oldtanker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: How convert 8n to keyswitch start only Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Paul in Edmonton wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:07:01 10/22/12) You guys should have talked to the PO of my tractor before he made his changes... It's been key start since I've had it, with no tranny lock-out. I think I'd be happier with the lock-out enabled. (Which, of course, shows the original poster that it's possible, even if it's not a good idea.)

-Paul

OK I like the safety lock out but it's very possible to convert to turn to start. Operators must know that it's turn to start as there are no safety locks. A guy could wire in a safety switch that would only work with the clutch depressed which ould be the only safe option.

I did convert a IH M to a push button switch even though the key switch is a turn to start.

Rick

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: How convert 8n to keyswitch start only Reply to specific post Reply with quote

pressing clutch to start as a safety?

what if your clutch is stuck = no safety.

oem setup won't start if trans is in gear.

if out of gear and stuck clutch = no problem.

being out of gear at start is the safe feature...

Paul in Edmonton
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: How convert 8n to keyswitch start only Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'll agree with sounNdguy about the clutch--certainly not a safe option on an 8N. At least not mine...

But this reminds me about the car I had 15 years ago that I put a remote starter into. (For those of you in warm climates--a remote starter is a godsend in really cold weather!) The problem was that the car had a manual transmission. Those don't (or didn't then) have any sensor to tell if it was in neutral. There's a sensor on the clutch so you can't start it the normal way without stepping on the clutch. But that obviously needs to be bypassed for a remote starter. The solution that the remote starter's manufacturer came up with was in the procedure. If you wanted to be able to use the remote starter you had to "arm" it the last time you drove the car. You'd have to press the remote button while the engine was still running. That would allow you to turn the key to off and remove it, but it would leave the engine running. Then you'd have to get out and close all the doors. And then push the remote button to shut the engine off. Of course to do this, the car would have to be in neutral. But to ensure it stayed in neutral, if anyone opened any of the doors (there's a sensor for that--the one that turns the dome light on) between this time and the time you want to remote start the car, it would disarm the starter. A real PITA, but when it was -30, you'd remember to arm it every time! (On an automatic transmission, there was/is no arming necessary.)

-Paul

R Geiger
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: How convert 8n to keyswitch start only Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have two 8ns and they both have the safety interlock working as it should. That said I also have a JD crawler that does not and never had any kind of safety interlock. No machine is any safer than the operator. The problem of removing it from an 8n is if someone else that is used to having it on an N goes to start it. One should always make double sure you have it out of gear no matter what you are starting. Safety devices can and have killed if taken for granted.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.