Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

2N in frame?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gustafson

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:34 am    Post subject: 2N in frame? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The situation: I pulled the head on my 2N last night (it hasn't run for 20 years, engine stuck)

I found the #1 cylinder badly rusted, and both valves on #1 in the open position. I have it soaking in ATF overnight.

My question: is she a candidate for a in-frame-overhaul or should I just turn it over to the machine shop?

Cost is important on this project, but not the overriding consideration, my mechanic skills are moderate at best. How much should I attempt to do myself?

jackinok
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: 2N in frame? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

check the crank journals..just a little info,they were built to be overhauled in frame, in the feild.

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: 2N in frame? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gustafson wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:34:00 11/01/12) The situation: I pulled the head on my 2N last night (it hasn't run for 20 years, engine stuck)

I found the #1 cylinder badly rusted, and both valves on #1 in the open position. I have it soaking in ATF overnight.

My question: is she a candidate for a in-frame-overhaul or should I just turn it over to the machine shop?

Cost is important on this project, but not the overriding consideration, my mechanic skills are moderate at best. How much should I attempt to do myself?

If skills are "moderate at best" I'd suggest a shop. Use it as a chance to develop your skills a bit while doing some of the preliminary disassembly. Remove the engine and strip it the bare block. Remove the oil pan and take a peek inside before you hand it off to the pros. Expect a bill for roughly $1500 when you get it back.

TOH

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: 2N in frame? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If rusted much of any a full rebuild will need to be done because you will not be able to hone out all the rust pits. Sort of makes me think about a Honda 50 I had back when I was 16 or so. The cylinder on it was so bad a set of rings would last maybe a week or 2. Replace the rings every week or so till the rings cleaned up the cylinder and all was ok for a long time. Bet I put in 4 or 5 sets of rings before the cylinder cleaned up enough for the rings to stay in but back then a set of rings and the gaskets I needed cost less then $10

HCooke
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: 2N in frame? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sure is easier when it's on an engine stand.

Charnerl
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N in frame? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you want an experience that will make you feel good and have accomplished something, get you a local 8N or 9N owner that has overhauled an engine. He can give you a list of things needed to strip the engine down. Once stripped, he can talk you through the installation of a top end kit. Kit will cost $300+/- and buy your adviser a steak dinner. He will have to come by 3-4 times. I've done this and enjoy helping a fellow N'er. Didn't even get my hands dirty.

oldtanker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N in frame? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gustafson wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:34:00 11/01/12) The situation: I pulled the head on my 2N last night (it hasn't run for 20 years, engine stuck)

Most farmers back in the day had no mechanic skill or experience. That N was most likely someones first tractor. Ain't that hard and a relly good starter engine for someone willing to learn.

Where are you located? Maybe someone close by can help you out.

Rick

Rick

russb wa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: 2N in frame? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is a thing called mission creep. Like when you need a tool that you don't have and head off in a completely new direction before returning to the original mission.

The collective wisdom here is powerful, but its your call.

Other possibilities:

out of frame, you do
find a used engine
part the tractor out

;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QV6FpYfbn0

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters