Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

will not spin over.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thommoos
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: will not spin over. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

8n Front distr with a 9n motor, Just installed a new harness and ignition switch. Tractor had a car type set-up (starting with key). Hooked all the wires up (real easy. put it in nuetral step on the button Nothing.

things I noticed- According to FO4 sylenoid bolts to starter, mine does not.
No click, no spin,

Battery has 12.6 volts, and does have continutiy between pos and neg is that right?

Dell (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: will not spin over. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

uh? Tom.........I flunked mind reading, just ask my ex-wife of 32-yrs.

You write......."According to FO4, sylenoid bolt so starter, mine does not." .........so where does your solenoid bolt to???

You write......."Battery has 12.6 volts, and does have continutiy between pos and neg is that right?"........um, depends.....pos and neg WHAT??? .........respectfully, mindless Dell

thommoos
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: will not spin over. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

meaning 2 flathead screws to starter. not only the power supply.

Positive and negative post of the battery, should it have continuity?

Mindreading uh, I was with my wife all weekend, that why I so confused.

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: will not spin over. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like you have a 9N starter too.
Is there a wire connected to your push button?
Where is your solenoid, and how is it wired?
If it has a car type solenoid on it, and you are trying to run it with an 8N push
button it probably won't work.
The car type required power to the small post to engage, the tractor type require
ground to the small post which is supplied by the push button.
If you're sure you have the wiring right, you could test that theory by running a
temporary jumper from battery positive to the small solenoid wire with the key off.
By ABSOLUTELY certain its in neutral first so you don't run yourself over.

Dell (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: will not spin over. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thom........you answer........"Positive and negative post of the battery, should it have continuity?"........HOW do you measure continuity? With an OHM-meter??? More better you use VOLT-meter. That is what they are made for. Iff'n I remember my chemistry correctly, each lead-acid cell is approximately 2.5-ohms. So fer 6-cell 12V-battery, I'll let you do the math. (hint: 15-ohms)

You answer......."meaning 2 flathead screws to starter. not only the power supply.".......would it surprize you to learn the 8N roundcan starter solenoid is held on by 2-ea 10-32x3/8" filister head screws. (tall flathead screw with washer) ..........HTH, mindless Dell

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: will not spin over. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

oem starter button will not work with a key to start automotive solenoid.

ps... you sure it's an 8n.. post a pic...

jackinok
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: will not spin over. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

solenoid on these are not the same as a car. which is how your tractor WAS wired. the solenoid made for these had just one side post,and had to be mounted the right direction to work. start button itself made contact to ground for the coil of the solenoid. you can sometimes use a car solenoid "IF" you know how to test one and hook it up correctly ,but its much easier to buy a 8n solenoid.(NOTE) a 9n and a 8n are wired differently!!!!!! you say your solenoid is not mounted on the starter,where EXACTLY is it mounted? thats the key.. does it actually have a SOLENOID or does it have a START SWITCH? does it have a small WIRE only to the push button itself,or does it not have?three speed or four speed transmission? so many parts can be interchanged on these that you sort of have to piece together what you have. some 8ns for instance had front mount dist,so that alone does not mean you have a 9n engine.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.