Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best deal on a 2 stage air compressor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RGMartin
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Best deal on a 2 stage air compressor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What is the best bang for your buck 2 stage compressor out there?

Any thoughts? The IR that TSC has for a $1100 is leading the pack at the moment.

Glenn F.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Best deal on a 2 stage air compressor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In our experience IR cannot hold a candle to QUINCY!!

Glenn F.

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Best deal on a 2 stage air compressor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I researched this rather thoroughly about two years ago before buying an Eaton Air, now DBA Polar Air. They will sell direct. Google for website.

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Best deal on a 2 stage air compressor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You get what you pay for.
A bargain price is not always a bargain. Check the CFM's. For the average farm shop I wouldn't get anything less than 17-20 CFM's and a true 5HP motor that pulls, I think, 22 amps if you don't do much sandblasting. A good one will set you back about three times that $1000 amount. On the other hand, if you're just filling tires and using a 1/2" air wrench once in awhile, a cheaper compressor will run you awhile. Jim

Charles (in GA)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Best deal on a 2 stage air compressor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It all depends.

Curtis
Saylor-Beale
Quincy
Gardner-Denver/Champion
Jenny
SOME IR compressors

are all top tier compressors. Jenny (the steam cleaner people) formerly made the pumps for the large Emglo compressors. After Dewalt destroyed Emglo, Jenny started making whole compressors themselves.

Many of the IR pumps are made in India and are not of the quality you expect from IR. I have read on the net of significant quality problems with some of the small IR two stage units.

If you step down a little, there are several other two stages that will perform well for the money. I have a Home Depot Husky true 7.5 hp 80 gal two stage that is made by Campbell Hausfeld. This is a quality compressor. Mine has a USA pump, the newer ones have the same pump, but made elsewhere (at least they no longer say USA on them)

American IMC/BelAire assembles a compressor in South Carolina using US and foreign components. These units have a pretty good reputation. I seem to recall they use an Italian made pump.

An outfit called LaPlante Compressors is making industrial compressors using the old Kellogg pump design, and while I know nothing about them, if the pumps are well made, the Kellogg design is a excellent pump.

Be sure that whatever you buy has a true horsepower rating. A true 5 hp, which is about the minimum for two stage units will put out about 18 cfm and. A true 7.5 hp will produce about 24-25 cfm.

Charles

RGMartin
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Best deal on a 2 stage air compressor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I need it for running 3/4" impacts, some spraying, some blasting. I know I need considerably more than I have now.

CP would be nice from a historical standpoint as my grandfather built/rebuilt compressors for them many years ago. Any insight on them currently?

markiz41
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Best deal on a 2 stage air compressor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CP as in Chicago Pneumatic? Don't think they ever had their own pump design, maybe before my time. These days they are global all the way, everything is rebadged. So look carefully at what you are getting.

MCOHIO
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Best deal on a 2 stage air compressor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 7.5 hp Porter Cable that will out run my pressure blaster and any other tool I put on it. I don't know if they build it or someone else but it does have an A.O. SMITH motor.

RGMartin
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Best deal on a 2 stage air compressor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

markiz41 wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:45:11 10/23/12) CP as in Chicago Pneumatic? Don't think they ever had their own pump design, maybe before my time. These days they are global all the way, everything is rebadged. So look carefully at what you are getting.

Yeah, that CP. Their plant was in Franklin, PA. Just another shell of a brick building now.

Just to keep it tractor related, The last new tractor he bought was a 770 Case which I still use.

Brief history from 1951:

http://www.energymachinery.com/html/cph.html

greygoat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Best deal on a 2 stage air compressor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have an INDUSTRIAL Quincy, that has an oil pump
and full pressure lubrication, and even an oil
pressure gauge. "Northern", and "TP' (the sand
blaster outfit)sell Quincy, but specs say "Splash
Lubrication". Be aware of what you're getting!

Glenn F.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Best deal on a 2 stage air compressor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My Quincy is the same. The thing will run forever.

hd6g Tom
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Best deal on a 2 stage air compressor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I Owned a tire shop for 22 years, Ingersol Rand type 30 is the only compressor we bought that is still in constant operation today. Health reasons forced me to sell the shop 6 years ago. It is the only brand of compressor I would buy new.

rodm1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Best deal on a 2 stage air compressor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This gets beaten to death daily at http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/ do a search. The best brands are Saylor-Beall, Champion, Quincey they are kind of like autos everyone has an opinion.

Just make shire you get a 5hp oil lubed model, You should be very happy with it. Realize air is very pricy there is no cheep way if you need it.

Last edited by rodm1 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:39 am; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.