Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Winch capacity

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Winch capacity Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How much winch would I need to pull tractors up to 8000lbs up on to a deckover trailer?

Tractors would be rolling.

acwd45man
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Winch capacity Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can never have too big of a winch, the load rating of a winch is on the first layer on the drum. A 12,000lb winch would more than meet your needs.

Indiana Ken
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Winch capacity Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you assume the following: Trailer deck height = 2 ft, Ramp length = 6 feet, only one set of tractor wheels are on the ramps at any given time, 70% of total tractor weight is on the rear wheels and all tires have air/roll freely.

The incline of the ramps is 18.5 degrees and the sine of 18.5 degrees is 0.316. Since only one set of wheels are on the ramps at any time the maximum pull will be when the rear wheels are on the ramps. To estimate the winch pull we take the sine of 18.5 degrees and multiply by the weight on the rear wheels. For example: 0.316 x 0.70 x 8000 lbs = 1771 lbs of winch pull.

Note, I am not saying your trailer needs to be the dimensions listed above however, since no details were given I just picked some numbers to use as an example. If the dimensions of your trailer are different then the winch load will be different. Also, the connection at the tractor and the position of the winch can have some effect however since this is a rough estimate that detail need not be taken into account at this time.

Now, what size winch to buy? I don't have any experience with the winch capacity needed for a 1771 lb load. Perhaps someone else can provide a recommendation.

cd1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: Winch capacity Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Also keep in mind many winches will outwork the WLL of the cable on the first few layers.

Ralph Bauer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Winch capacity Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 12K winch on my gooseneck. Some say you get what you pay for, but I bought a badland winch from HFT when it was on sale with additional coupon and and the 2 yr extended warranty (79.-) last year. My loads are always less than its capacity and so far it works great. The only thing I will change when the steel cable goes bad is to switch to a (expensive) poly cable. Lasts longer and rolls better on the winch, with my cable I got to get it perfect to not jam up the cable in the alotted space on the winch....
My thoughts. Ralph in OK.

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Winch capacity Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hmm, seems 12,000lbs is the popular choice.

What I'd like to do is mount the winch on a receiver tube so I can move it from the trailer to the front or rear hitches on my big truck.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Winch capacity Reply to specific post Reply with quote

mkirsch wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:44:31 10/23/12) How much winch would I need to pull tractors up to 8000lbs up on to a deckover trailer?

Tractors would be rolling.

I fully agree you can never have too much winch, but several years ago I was at an auction and there was an older, Sears Craftsman electric winch, rated at 2,500 pounds. I wasn't too interested since it was rather small, but the auctioneer was having trouble getting bids on that item, so I raised my hand and ended up with it for a song. Just for grins, I mounted it on my deck-over gooseneck trailer, mounted a 12 volt battery on the trailer which is also connected to my truck, and then proceeded to winch a Farmall H onto the trailer. Figured that H at 4,000 pounds or above.

That little 2,500# rated winch never even slowed down or broke a sweat. It just pulled that H right up the ramps and onto the trailer.

BOB HAWBECKER
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Winch capacity Reply to specific post Reply with quote

just double line that bad boy

ericlb
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Winch capacity Reply to specific post Reply with quote

it aint that simple, a 12,000 lb rated winch will do it BUT that rating is only for the first wraps of line on the drum, if you have to fill the drum spool to reach a tractor sitting onthe ground behind the trailer you wont have nearly that much pull, the other factor is power if you buy the cheapest 12 volt battery you can, then use 4 gauge cables you'll be stuck with the load halfway to where you need it to be with a dead battery, you need to spend some money in this dept something like a 8d battery and 1 gauge or 0 gauge cables, this battery is in heavy equipment and its huge and heavy, but it will work far beyond other sizes the big cables insure you get the amps the winch motor needs to make power under a load

cd1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: Winch capacity Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Remember even though you have a winch rated at 12k, that doesn't mean your cable is!!! Many are not. You have to look at working load limit not breaking strength.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Winch capacity Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ericlb wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:07:30 10/24/12) it aint that simple, a 12,000 lb rated winch will do it BUT that rating is only for the first wraps of line on the drum, if you have to fill the drum spool to reach a tractor sitting onthe ground behind the trailer you wont have nearly that much pull, the other factor is power if you buy the cheapest 12 volt battery you can, then use 4 gauge cables you'll be stuck with the load halfway to where you need it to be with a dead battery, you need to spend some money in this dept something like a 8d battery and 1 gauge or 0 gauge cables, this battery is in heavy equipment and its huge and heavy, but it will work far beyond other sizes the big cables insure you get the amps the winch motor needs to make power under a load

That is why I mounted one 12 volt battery on the trailer, and then tied that battery into the trailer wiring harness with a 10 gauge wire. The charging system of the truck will keep that trailer battery fully charged, and when using the winch, I leave the truck engine running, so in effect, I have TWO 12 volt batteries powering that winch.

cd1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Winch capacity Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In effect you have 1 12v battery powering that winch, 10 gauge wire would melt the insulation off in a heartbeat if the winch started to pull off it hard. Maybe not a baby winch but anything over 3000lbs or so.

Keith Molden
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Winch capacity Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have 2 snatch blocks in the tool box on the truck for things that may come close to the max on the winch. Snatch blocks might make it a little slower loading, but you won't burn up your winch that way. You can also use them to get the load to where you can bring it onto the trailer when you can't back straight up to it. Just my thoughts, keith

cd1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Winch capacity Reply to specific post Reply with quote

unfortunately not everyone thinks like you and I.

Keith Molden
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Winch capacity Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Shoot, I'm just a dumb old Hillbilly that don't like to pull my guts out if I can help it, i'd rather let the winch do it. Guess I'm probably a little lazy too. LOL

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.