Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3/4 pvc

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pipefix?

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: 3/4 pvc Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How much 3/4 inch PVC pipe do I need to remove to install a union? Trying to fix a hole in a line. Thanks

Puddles
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 3/4 pvc Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lately I've been using these. Dig around the pipe, cut out the hole / break, slip this on, and tighten down. They work great!

https://www.plumbersstock.com/#product/2967?gclid=CLyA3_D5mrMCFal7QgoddFMAHg

LenND
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 3/4 pvc Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Put the union together and measure total length. Then measure how far the pipe goes into the the ends add this together and subtract total from the length of the union. The answer will be amount you need.

LenND
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 3/4 pvc Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Those look like they would be a time saver. Thanks.

Old Bob
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 3/4 pvc Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've used these before. They are the only way to do it.

Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 3/4 pvc Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They make a union that does not have a stop in it, you slide it on the pipe add glue and slid it back over the other end of the pipe. Cheap and fast.

Dave Sherburne NY
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 3/4 pvc Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would use a Sharkbite fitting. I think they have one you can push the whole fitting on to one of the cut ends and then push it back the other way to cover the joint
Sharkbite fittings

Dave Sherburne NY
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 3/4 pvc Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just reread it The slip fitting is for use on copper pipes.

egbinor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 3/4 pvc Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks like you've got your question answered.
Another thing folks may not be aware of is you can transition from PVC to galvanized pipe with a good Dresser coupler, I"ve done it a number of times. EGBinOR

El Toro
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: 3/4 pvc Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do what LenND suggested I do that on copper pipe when you can't move it. I'v even installed new single lever shutoff valves using a sweat union and a sweat coupling.
Hal

BAnNC
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: 3/4 pvc Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Product called Gatorbite can be used on copper, CPVC, and Pex.

BAnNC
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: 3/4 pvc Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is also an expandable fitting. Glue one end, slide the fitting together, pull out to where the other end of existing pipe is. Glue in place. Made for pipe that cannot be moved for slip fit version.
Also, might look at repair coupling that can slip over one side then back to cover both ends. No glue. Compression only.

PJH
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: 3/4 pvc Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Those things look like a great idea, but I know of two that slowly slid apart. Both were in the open (not buried) - one in a basement, which resulted in water damage to lots of stuff, and the other in a pumphouse, which amazingly didn't seem to hurt the pump. The guy in the plumbing section at the local Lowes store sez "don't trust them - lots of them have failed". Maybe failed from improper installation, but how much more simple could they be. Both of the failures that I'm aware of were placed in lines that had a 90 degree bend. In a straight section, well supported, or buried, they "should" work good. . .

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.