Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ford 3910 trans rattle

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mite-help
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: ford 3910 trans rattle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I posted some time back about the noise in this transmission, 8 speed-[4 + lo hi] in operation, pulling etc, can't detect anything-mainly @ idle & relesing the clutch rapidly-it will chatter & go away-best way to hear it is with 2-speed in neutral, try differant gears & play with throttle a little & thing knocks--after my first question, i pulled shift cover-found missing ball on 2-speed detent, thought this gearset maybe floating around hitting a gear, but no. i see no broken teeth, slack in bearings,etc. [maybe some on mainshaft gearset, seen worse]yes it reminds me of a deal i got into a while back of gears picking up engine pulses as i can make it go away with very slight rpm change, may not come back til stop/restart--2 ??-could clutch damper springs cause this? should i pull lift cover[or just split] to check out? i have manual,just at anouther location-get tommorow-i know this box to be a little noisy [ i have a 3000] but this is a little much. it was actually brought to me for a throw-out bearing, but not that. thanks for help-excuse sp.--gotta replace a lamp bulb]--

mite-help
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: ford 3910 trans rattle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

doing a split this weekend to chase down that noise--gonna check clutch plate damper first-than do the double split--

Brian in MI
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: ford 3910 trans rattle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mine does the same thing, its a 1984. It has 850 hrs +/- origional hours to boot. I just figure it to be gear rattle or excess clearance on the main shaft. Or could be the hydro pump, since it is internal could be some gear rattle there too. Post back with your findings, very intereasted in what you find

Shetland Sheepdog
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: ford 3910 trans rattle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My '84 3910 with the deluxe syncro 8 & 4 transmission does the same thing, and has for years! It usually happens on starting, but if I give the clutch pedal a quick jab, it goes away.
HTH, Dave

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: ford 3910 trans rattle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Why? They all rattle and knock to some degree... When the clutch is done it will explode for you. Tranny is best left alone unless there's pieces or filings in the bottom.

Rod

honda man
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: ford 3910 trans rattle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

my ford 4000 did the same thing rattle in the trans with tractor in neutral with clutch out, noise came and went all the time did not sound good. The transmission was rebuilt, the bearings were noisy on the counter shaft bottom shaft. the cause is water in the bottom getting to the bearings and wear and tear. all new bearings 10 and 2 seals, after put back on tractor it worked perfect no noise at all just like a new tractor, cost $900 parts and labour.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.