Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Update on tiller and lawn seeding.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
George Marsh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Update on tiller and lawn seeding. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A while back I was going to get a tiller for a Ford tractor, until I figured out it was going to require a tractor larger than my Jubilee and it had to go slower. Going to cost a pant load. I decided to buy a used lawn tractor with tiller. Got this little JD with 30 inch tiller. I'm impressed with how well the 30 inch counter rotating tiller works. Too bad it's not a Ford.

I have over an acre that turned to weeds after the dry summer. Put the 6 ft disk on Jubilee and tore up weeds, leaving the good grass behind. Drug the clumps of sod off to one side of yard and piled them up. Rolled the ground and left it for about 6 weeks for the covered up sod to rot. A few weeds started growing, so today I got my new toy out and tilled the ground. Only took a little more than 2 hours to do everything.

Going to wait for another 3-4 weeks. When weatherman is predicting snow, I'll use my 3 ft disk behind the tiller and hit it again. The 3 ft disk will put nice groves in soil. Broad cast seed and when it rains, the seed will wash in groves. It will look like I used a grain drill to plant grass. Grass will come up next spring. That way I don't have to worry about irrigating lawn. Would hate to lose the investment in seed and fertilizer.

George

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Update on tiller and lawn seeding. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks like it did a great job George.
Of course, the Jubilee loosened it up first! Wink

Doug (OH)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Update on tiller and lawn seeding. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I like the way you think, George! Efficient!

Dell (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Update on tiller and lawn seeding. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

um? George..........question for you, what do BIRDS eat??? Iff'n you say seeds, congratulations. Drag some carpet or railroad tie and COVER them seeds. DO IT NOW while the soil is still soft. ........Dell

George Marsh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Update on tiller and lawn seeding. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dell,
For some reason, the birds don't bother the seeds especially when it's covered with snow.

I've used this technique in the past and have had the best results with gremination and letting the snow and rains cover the seeds.

Still waiting for snow before I disk and seed. I'll post back when I get her done.
George

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.