Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What I did today (pictures)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zachary Hoyt
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: What I did today (pictures) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was using the PTO winch for about the fourth time today. Cutting ash trees that were marked in a timber sale 4 years ago and were not cut. I've got a couple of ash orders waiting to be filled at the sawmill. The bank is maybe 30 feet high at guess, no way I could get the logs up to the top without a winch of some kind. Took a couple of years to get the winch on the frame and working but now it is very handy. I really like the IPTO on the 300 to run the winch, it is handier than the trans drive PTO on the H or the two stage clutch on the MF35.
Zach

Justin SE IOWA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What I did today (pictures) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bet that winch is handy! I would love to have one! Nice pics

Paul from MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What I did today (pictures) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I rigged an electric winch on my neighbors farmall BN. Not as nice as yours, but he really likes it to skid firewood.

jm.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What I did today (pictures) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Zach I have all the components here to build a winch like yours. I was thinking of mounting something like a grader blade on the lower rear so I could let it pull int the ground to prevent the tractor from strain. Do you have trouble with the winch wanting to pull the tractor. I plan on using a hydraulic driven winch but will us it pretty much as you are , in that I have 600 acres of old Iron ore pits with good timeber.

dave2

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: What I did today (pictures) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

lookin good... A little modification could help ensure you enjoy doing that stuff a lot longer (or not have a kisser that looks like the front of the winch tractor Rolling Eyes )

Couple guys in the area make a decent chunk of change doin custom work the old way... Saves the forest from damage by the big machines. Forest gurus go in and cut/limb and they pull it to the access roads..

Last edited by dave2 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: What I did today (pictures) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I was in high school, we had a real nice grove of ash, up to 24" DBH. Dad found someone to buy the logs, and we spent a week or so logging it out and decking it. Dad calls the guy, he backs out- says his market collapsed, or some such. So we spent the rest of the fall making LOTS of firewood. I still like ash firewood best of all.

John Fulton
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: What I did today (pictures) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Zach,
Evidently you don"t have the emerald ash borer yet. I has hit pretty hard in southside Virginia. Ash is not a commercial timber crop here, but many acres of river bottoms are covered only with in green ash. Lowgrounds will probably come back in sweetgum, another non-commercial species.

Will Herring
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What I did today (pictures) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Very nice work with that winch. I rarely pull trees with my WD, the last time was when we had an old, hard locust fall over on the edge of a field (and, of course, into the field). Chainsaw and log chains to drag it off for firewood for campfires and such.

Phil Tibbetts
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What I did today (pictures) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This picture reminds me of cutting wood with my Dad years ago. The horse was a joy to use, so smart in the woods that he seldom needed any help going to the yard. And when we got done no damage to the trees we left.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.