Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

help me identify

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
craig 300u
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: help me identify Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looking at buying a track loader a guy has. i havn't been able to go and look at it yet. I do know that it was made by american tractor corp. goin to try and upload some phots here and see if anyone can help me find a little info this loader

craig 300u
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: help me identify Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know it is a terratrac and has a 4 cylinder engine.

BCnT
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: help me identify Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i can see model number on that tag but cant make out the last part...its either 7L??? or TL???
i'd check that machine out in person with someone that KNOWS undercarriage...i can see a major cash hemmorrage in that alone...i'd give less than scrap unless it runs good.

retired farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: help me identify Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If those are the pictures of it, if I was you, I would let her set right where she is and let the grass grow up around it. If it runs at all the first thing it will need is a set of tracks and they aren't cheap. I could be wrong but it looks like the rails are about shot.

miner09
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: help me identify Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The Farmer is right. Let it set. If you don't have a lot of work for one just lease a tractor and let them do all repairs. If you really have a lot of use to own one buy a decent tractor and you will be $$$$$ ahead.

Dick2
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: help me identify Reply to specific post Reply with quote

American Tractor was started by a DP from Europe after WWII. Terratrac was the brand name of the tractors that the company made.

American Tractor company merged with JI Case and the DP became the President of JI Case. The DP was a dishonest manipulator, as was his wife who was a stockbroker.

When Case introduced their new line of tractors, the DP had the dealer meeting in a bull fighting arena in Mexico, with bottles of Tequila everywhere in the arena bleachers. Case personnel circulated among the intoxicated dealers with order pads.

As the orders were turned in, Case stock soared - and the DP's wife was selling their personal blocks of stock at inflated prices. When the dealers sobered up a couple days later, they cancelled orders right and left - and Case stock fell and eventually forced Case into filing bankruptcy. But before the company filed bankrupcty, the DP & his wife had fled the country for some island where they couldn't be touched.

I wouldn't buy anything Terratrac just on general principle, plus I don't know if Case has any parts for them.

Old loader

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: help me identify Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My best advice is to look for something better. The machine in your pictures would take THOUSANDS to get into half decent operating condition.

Fritz Maurer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: help me identify Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Craig, if it appeals to you, go get it! It is definitely a curious looking machine. I can't help you identify it more than to Google it and see what surfaces, but I think you might luck out on this one, and drive it onto the trailer! It hasn't been sitting there all that long, 2 or 3 years I'd guess. Plus, it has a tight muffler with a can on top. If it needs an undercarriage, so what? You don't have to do everything at once, including replacing undercarriage components. Do me a favor, will ya? If you don't take it, give me the guy's number?

Craig 300 U
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: help me identify Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the help everyone. He is asking 1500 for it, says it drives and the loader works, says that the right side track likes to walk off when on hills. I still plan on going down to kentucky and looking at the machine when i get a chance. He is asking $1500 for it. will see what i can get him down to on price.

shucks
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: help me identify Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have 3 of these that run + 1 for parts. 1 diesel 2 gas. Diesel has bucket. 1 gas has 4 way hyd tilt blade. 1 has manual angle straight blade. All have good undercarrige. Will sell all for $6000 or 2500 each.

730d se
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: help me identify Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Coming from a man that has drug home what appeared to be junk, I say find out the weight plus the local scrap price and that is all it will be worth. Add in hauling cost of coarse.
Parts will be scarce at best, it is not a popular collector model, it is way past worn out.
Spend more up front and get something that is going to do a little work.

Old loader

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: help me identify Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You'd have to be able to start it for it to drive and the loader work. Let him show you it runs. I bet it's the old, it ran when it was parked deal. $1500 is way too much! It will cost you thousands to get it in useable codition and parts will be hard to find with no guarantee. Seriously, it is too far gone to be worth looking at. A bobcat would work circles around that machine.

rasman57
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: help me identify Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dick2 wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:17:03 10/26/12) American Tractor was started by a DP from Europe after WWII. Terratrac was the brand name of the tractors that the company made.

American Tractor company merged with JI Case and the DP became the President of JI Case. The DP was a dishonest manipulator, as was his wife who was a stockbroker.

When Case introduced their new line of tractors, the DP had the dealer meeting in a bull fighting arena in Mexico, with bottles of Tequila everywhere in the arena bleachers. Case personnel circulated among the intoxicated dealers with order pads.

As the orders were turned in, Case stock soared - and the DP's wife was selling their personal blocks of stock at inflated prices. When the dealers sobered up a couple days later, they cancelled orders right and left - and Case stock fell and eventually forced Case into filing bankruptcy. But before the company filed bankrupcty, the DP & his wife had fled the country for some island where they couldn't be touched.

I wouldn't buy anything Terratrac just on general principle, plus I don't know if Case has any parts for them.

Dick, are you making this up? What was the name of the DP? I have never seen this info before and it is interesting even if you made it up.

Pops1532
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: help me identify Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What do you intend to do with it? If you're looking for a restoration project to preserve a piece of history then maybe, MAYBE it's worth pursuing.
If you're looking for something to use, don't walk, RUN away from that thing. I agree with the others. It's way past worn out and it will cost a fortune to get in workable condition. Even if the guy gave it to you, the cost to rebuild it will outweigh what it will be worth. You'd be money ahead to buy something in better condition.
My Dad had an excavating business in the 50's. He bought a NEW Terratrac. He said it was the most trouble prone piece of equipment he ever saw. One of the many problems it had was the tracks would walk off......and it was new!

Fritz Maurer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: help me identify Reply to specific post Reply with quote

And still, the hits just keep on coming. I don't understand what's wrong with you guys. Why is everyone so concerned about what he's going to do with it? If he were going to replace a Cat 931, then your comments would have some usability, but this worthless blabber is just trying to dispirit the guy. What's wrong with a 1500.00 price tag? It appears to me about the same size as a TD-9, which weighs 9700 without a blade. With a loader frame and bucket, at 200/ton, that price is pretty close. Too hard to get parts for it? What are you guys even doing here at Yesterday's Tractors? 90% of what we do we can't f------ get parts for!! All he wanted was a little information. A guy comes to this forum all excited about saving a machine, and you kick him in the head. Nice work.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Crawlers, Dozers, Loaders and Backhoes All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.