Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

follow for Bruce (VA) and old

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rodgernbama
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: follow for Bruce (VA) and old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Followup from yesterday. I checked my spark(borrowed plug from push mower) and it was yellowish not blue as others said it should be. Took distributor out and inspected point gap. It had closed up some so I re-gaped to.015 and cleaned with dollar bill. Put distributor back in and it fired off so I got to finish bushogging. I've considered going with pointless ignition to cut down on problems.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: follow for Bruce (VA) and old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

a little maintenance will cull the need for the ei.. Wink

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: follow for Bruce (VA) and old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

" I've considered going with pointless ignition to cut down on problems."

I'd consider annual maintenance on the points before I'd consider EI.

EI will not work well at all on 6v (it won't fire below 5.2v) so you would need to convert it to 12v.

EI does not give you higher spark voltage, eliminate all maintenance on your ignition system or give enough of a horsepower boost to cause the tractor to do wheelies. It replaces the points. Thatís it. It will not correct or overcome other problems in the ignition system. While it may give you more HP or improve fuel economy, both would be so insignificant as to be hardly noticeable on a 23 hp engine. If you canít set points or donít care to do it, or you donít want to spend the 30 minutes or so a year to check the gap & lube the cam, then you will be happy w/ EI. And, the EI unit itself will be maintenance free. (but the rest of the ignition system wonít) You will spend probably $235 for an EI kit & 12v conversion. If you install them correctly you will have an easy starting tractor for a long time. And, the 12 volt conversion & EI will have just about nothing to do w/ the good performance. What will make the real difference is the new wiring, cables, clean grounds & new battery.

The key advantage to EI is that you do not need to gap & lube the points every year & replace them every 4 or 5 years or. If you perform annual maintenance on the points & change them every 4 years or so using quality parts, you will see no difference whatsoever between a points ignition system & EI on an N.

The key disadvantages to EI on an N are initial cost, nearly impossible for the average N owner to repair, will not work w/ low battery voltage, & easily damaged beyond repair by polarity reversal & other common mistakes.

Bottom lineÖÖÖ.this is the question you need to answer: ďIf tens of thousands of other Nís operate just fine on 6v and points, why canít mine?Ē

Your money, your tractor, your call........
50 Tips

Richard G.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: follow for Bruce (VA) and old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I will never go with EI as a solar flare or Iranian nuclear attack WILL shut it down.
Richard the practical

oldtanker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: follow for Bruce (VA) and old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

rodgernbama wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:01:15 10/27/12) Followup from yesterday. I checked my spark(borrowed plug from push mower) and it was yellowish not blue as others said it should be. Took distributor out and inspected point gap. It had closed up some so I re-gaped to.015 and cleaned with dollar bill. Put distributor back in and it fired off so I got to finish bushogging. I've considered going with pointless ignition to cut down on problems.

I have 2 8N's. One that I went through the engine this spring was converted to IE in early Aug. So I startred with a engine rebuild, made new wiring harness, rebuilt carb, 12 volt conversion, new pulgs and wires. It start a little faster with the IE and I will not have to fuss with the dizzy. I'm leaving the other with poins for the time being.

Rick

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: follow for Bruce (VA) and old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have way to many tractor but I almost never have any problems with the points. Most of the ones I have sit for 6 months or more and when I go to fire them up they will fire up 95% of the time and if not simple cleaning of the points a 5 minute job fixes them. Some I have not tuned up in 5 plus years and other then having to put in a fresh battery they fire up just fine. It is not the point it is the simple little things that get over looked. Plus it things hit the fan as some think it is going to do I want things that might run LOL

Ken(Ark)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: follow for Bruce (VA) and old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

rodgernbama wrote:

I've considered going with pointless ignition to cut down on problems.

EI is a luxury item . EI comes with a higher price tag and if it should fail then it is usually a total loss .

EI is not a magic cure all but it is a nice luxury if that's what a man wants . It can cut down on maintenance since it does not need routine inspection , it may help smooth out a rough idle , is more forgiving on a loose shaft or worn lobes , and does not work out of adjustment .

30 years ago I smoked a Mallory Unilite while jump starting my pick up Sad

Make sure your battery and charging system is working properly . A bad alternator spike could be trouble .

Personally I would recommend to buy and rebuild a used dizzy to keep on the shelf . Points or EI usually fail when you really need your tractor .

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: follow for Bruce (VA) and old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I do it the easy way I keep a couple extra back up tractors that way if I need to get it done I have a back up for the one that is being a pain most of the time

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: follow for Bruce (VA) and old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

rodgernbama wrote:
(quoted from post at 02:01:15 10/28/12) Followup from yesterday. I checked my spark(borrowed plug from push mower) and it was yellowish not blue as others said it should be. Took distributor out and inspected point gap. It had closed up some so I re-gaped to.015 and cleaned with dollar bill. Put distributor back in and it fired off so I got to finish bushogging. I've considered going with pointless ignition to cut down on problems.

Good call.... It would not make me mad if I never seen a set of points the rest of my life...

Dud Tx

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: follow for Bruce (VA) and old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bruce, with a regapped old plug. Do you connect plug to plug wire and then touch plug to block to check for spark and spark distance. Thanks wanting to make sure I understand.

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: follow for Bruce (VA) and old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Open the gap on the plug. Attach the plug wire. Hold the plug firmly to the block or manifold.

A plug checker is more accurate & easier to use for a number of reasons. But an old plug is cheaper!
50 Tips

ZANE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: follow for Bruce (VA) and old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Go with pointless ignition and when it fails you'll miss a week or so waiting for a replacement!

Zane

oldtanker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: follow for Bruce (VA) and old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ZANE wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:01:55 10/28/12) Go with pointless ignition and when it fails you'll miss a week or so waiting for a replacement!

Zane

Zane you are telling me that if I have IE and I can order just about any part I want for over night delivery..............except IE???????

One of my sons works for a guy who has a JD 4020 gas. He was having problems with it and I went just the other day to Fargo and looked at it. Now he's been having starting problems and his mechanical advance needs work but it has an after market IE system in it. He's owned the tractor about 6 years and he didn't put it in.

Rick

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: follow for Bruce (VA) and old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No Zane.
You stash your old points and condenser under the hood and stick them back in if the EI fails.
I did that for the first 5 years I had EI but it never failed. Finally used the spare points in another tractor.
Sold the EI tractor this summer after 7 1/2 years of having EI in it. Never touched the distributer in that time.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: follow for Bruce (VA) and old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

From the late 1970s onward Everything built had Electronic Ignition in it.
Tractors, cars, pickups, snowmobiles, outboard motors, mototcycles, small engines, 4 wheelers,
Everything!
Reason?
EI is more reliable, does not require maintenance, spark does not degrade due to wear on points, dwell is more accurate and so better fuel efficiancy, better allows for wear on the distributer, plus other reasons.
12V EI for a front mount is $96 from this site.
Side mount kit is $77.
Decent set of points and condenser is at least $30 now. Likely more.
By your own estimate - 4-5 years on a set of points - the tractor I mentioned above would have needed 2.5 sets of points in the 7 1/2 years I ran it with EI. That is at least $75.
Getting awfully close to the price of EI for a side mount aren't we?
Plus never having to touch the points again?
Priceless.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.