Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Float setting 214B

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. T. Minnesota
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Float setting 214B Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Forum Members,
Have posted messages in the past few days concerning a 241B carb for an 8N. I may have to reset the float level because I am getting a slight seepage of fuel from the gasket area on the carb when the engine is not running. This happened once before on my 2N and I reset the float with a slightly more than 1/4 inch spacing. It worked.
My question is: should something else be done to remedy this problem? The gasket is in good condition. Any thoughts are welcome.
Mr. T. Minnesota

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Float setting 214B Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the seat has a gasket, and the needle and seat must mate well.

float must be set correctly ( .25" ) and not be heavy or hanging up.

Mr. T. Minnesota
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Float setting 214B Reply to specific post Reply with quote

SG,
I recently cleaned the carb completely. The needle and seat are in good condition. I carefully checked the needle in particular looking for grooves and wear. The float is in good condition too. It was not fuel logged and did not show wear. I will replace the gasket with a new gasket. Any other thoughts are welcome!
Mr. T. Minnesota

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Float setting 214B Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you did not put in a new gasket when you opened up that carb that is likely to be the problem. Gasket once used almost never reseal as they should since they have been squeezed down so can no longer seal as they would have when new

Dell (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Float setting 214B Reply to specific post Reply with quote

MrT..........the float valve seat really hazzta be "honked-on". It leaks BEHIND the brass seat. Recommend you squander $2 (cheap) for a 1/2" FLAT blade drill and grind the POINTS-OFF so it will fit in the soft BRASS seat. Common 1/2" screwdrivers are "V"-shaped (wedge) and will NOT transmitt enuff torque to the soft brass seat before the slots are broken out. Iff'n yer really cheap, a short piece of broken hacksaw blade innna vise-grip will work.

And ALWAYS remember to turn yer glass under-the-tank fuel valve OFF after the days work is done. In the morning, 2-turns ON. I marked my round fuel valve wheel so I could count turns. ........fuelish Dell

Mr. T. Minnesota
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Float setting 214B Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dell,
That is one thing I forgot about, the 2 turns out. Been running N tractors seriously for about 3 years and forgot that little rule. Appreciate the reminder!!
Mr. T. Minnesota

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.