Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

1070 air filter question

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kow Farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: 1070 air filter question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was doing some maintenance the other day on my new to me 1070. The tractor was dirty inside and out from when I bought it a month ago. So fussy me can't stand dirty equipment. So I cleaned the cab inside and out. I am reading through the manual as I am looking things over also to learn as much about this tractor as I can from the operators manual. Anyway, I decided to check fluids, clean out the air filter etc. I took off the air cleaner cover, pulled the air filter out to see how dirty it is. So I start to blow the dirt out of the filter with the air nozzle, being careful not to hurt the paper element. As I tip the filter upside down I happen to see some factory markings on the filter. There was a part number and what really got me was this stamped in black: APR 77. My question is this. Does that mean my tractor still has the original air filter in it from brand new in 1977? If it is I think I'm gonna scream! How can that be? How can someone not replace an air filter in 35 years? I am going to get her ready for Winter work soon. By the way I blew out the cab air filter in back also, between the cab filter and the air filter I think I just inherited another 1/4 acre of dirt! LOL Please advise on the air filter situation. Thank you everyone.
Kow Farmer (Kurt)

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1070 air filter question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

it is possible I guess to be the original one unless when he bought the tractor he bought several new air filters and has been washing them, reguardless if it is the first one what matters if you can see any signs that dirt has been allowed to enter the engine, if the air intake tube after the filter is completly clean no problem, I always go over the air intake systems on my equipment every so often and always when I get a new item, check the clamps for tightness wear points ect, I am very careful as to not over remove the air filter and when I do I clean the sealing surface every time and always add a good film of gun grease to the filter seal,this ensures even if a small amount of dirt/dust/debris slips by me it will still seal well, I also make darn sure the reting nut for the elemnet is very secure and the precleaner bowl is not cracked and seals well also as the precleaner I have found can remove 50% or more of the dirt alone if working properly, sorry for the long post/rant being in the line of work I have done for many years I have seen many good engines dusted by improper service/maintainance, can't say how many times I have pulled some ones aircleaner cover off and grabbed the wing nut and it is loose, whoops sorry off on another rant not trying to lecture cnt

Kow Farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1070 air filter question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Case Nutty. I looked over other parts of the air filter and everything seemed in good condition. Other than the top of engine head having lots of dirt on it from over the years, the engine is really clean. I'm still looking into the pto issue. I think I need a second person running the pto lever while investigate the cable issue under the cab. I appreciate all your help.
Kow Farmer (Kurt)

Jim in Sask
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1070 air filter question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Based on my experience I wouldn't be surprised if it was the original filter. I bought a 1974 Case 1070 this spring and discovered the cab air filter was the original with the 1974 date on it. Bout that time I knew she hadn't been pampered.

hardscrabble
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1070 air filter question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it was stamped on the filter it could just be the date of manufacture of that filter, and not the date it was installed.

Jim in Sask
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1070 air filter question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Based on other things I found I'd bet the one in my tractor came out of the factory with the tractor. I've found when replacing air filters, either engine or cab, the date stamped on the filter is usually less than a year earlier than when I'm installing it, two years at the most.

rich10e
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1070 air filter question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Had the same thing,bought a 1370on a sale,only 3000 hrs on it,the filter said 1976 on it,had to pry it off.Some guys just have different priorities I guess. Rich

DKase
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1070 air filter question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I got my first dry filter tractor (970) I was told not to mess with the filter unless the filter service sensor had tripped. I was told that it was OK to blow out the outside filter with air if extreme caution was used. The more often you mess with it the better chance of damaging it so dirt will get through. I have had the tractor 25 years and it does not run in very dirty conditions. The filter I bought new for it 25 years ago is in there yet, and I have not had it out for cleaning more than 10 times. The sensor has never tripped. I do keep the precleaner cleaned out. When I do blow the paper filter out there is not much stuff in there. Now my combine filter sensor has never tripped either. I do clean that after each season and there is so much dust in there I do not know how the air gets through. It must though because the sensor doesnt trip. I think those filters have far more capacity than they get credit for. I was told to NEVER mess with the center filter other than to replace it, and then to use EVERY precaution to not let any contamination get past there. The hour meter on my 970 has rolled over and it does not use any oil between 150 hour changes so I must be doing something right. I would be interested to hear from some of you real farmers and how you deal with your filters. DK

Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1070 air filter question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 1570 that I bought 3yrs ago with 1992 original hrs had 78 stamped on the air filter when I changed it and it looked almost new.
Ben

1370rod
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1070 air filter question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Kurt, I think you got alot of good advice from everyone and what the heck, I'll throw in my 2 cents worth. The filter in your 10 does not have a safety inner filter, so one must be very careful not to damage or contaminate it while cleaning. In my 970 I replace the filter every 2 or 3 years and will only clean them a couple times. They are not real expensive and with a overhaul costing thousands it is cheap insurance. No matter how well they are cleaned they are not as clean as new. A cleaner filter gives better HP and fuel econemy also. I myself would never reuse a filter in my tractors that I farm with that are 5 yr old, but thats me. A couple yrs ago a fella brought to me a 1070 with the filter date in the late 70,s, it needed a overhaul. Had I not worked on the tractor, chances are it still would have that old one in. Rod.

Agri King
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1070 air filter question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Kurt, It's not good but I wouldn't loose to much sleep over it. Go with Rod's, blow it out a couple times and throw it away. Worked on a 870 at the dealer that had the wrong filter in it. It was a good 1 inch short, TMR tractor, precleaner plum full. I wonder how much feed dust was sucked in? That was 15 years ago, tractor still running.

Kow Farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1070 air filter question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Eric,
I blew it out real good. I think I'll get a new filter anyway here in the near future. The current one is pretty brown from all the dirt over the years. I just wanted your guys opinions that have worked on these tractors for many years. Thanks for all your help.
Kow Farmer (Kurt)

1370 pwr in ne
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1070 air filter question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

WOW!!!i would have a hard time believing that it's the original.it would of had to be in a pretty dust free environment.when were baling corn stalks with the 2590 we blow the filters out around 3times then put new in.sometimes they get changed with less then 150hrs.but that is extremely dusty conditions.new filters aren't really that expensive( in my opinion)i'm happy to hear that your 1070 is getting well cared for.if your 1070 could talk i'm sure she'd say thankyou.

Kow Farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1070 air filter question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Rod. This gives me some giudelines anyway. I want to replace it anyway. You just never know how previous owners maintained their equipment. They say they gave it their best, but you just never know. At least if I put in new parts, I know it will be good to go. Thanks again.
Kow Farmer (Kurt)

Kow Farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1070 air filter question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Maybe I hit the panic button here, but I want to make sure the tractor is in good operating condition. Filters and fluids are cheap insurance compared to an overhaul to me. I am looking forward to putting a lot of time on the ol' girl yet. She is my first ever Case tractor, and I am excited to have her here on my farm.
Kow Farmer (Kurt)

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters