Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1440 combine won't move

View previous topic :: View next topic  
old fashioned farmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:32 am    Post subject: 1440 combine won't move Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Howdy folks,

Looking for some ideas on what to try with my 1440. Had to install a new hydro motor down at the transmission but the combine is still not moving. When you put it in gear and move the hydro lever forward or in reverse the combine kind of shudders and then there is nothing. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

--old fashioned farmer

Erik Ks farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1440 combine won't move Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is air in the system, if you have an operators manual there are direction in it on how to bleed the system.

old fashioned farmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1440 combine won't move Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I wondered about that. I went through the steps the manual had when you drain the system. Maybe it didn't quite get the air out. Thanks for the input. God bless.

old fashioned farmer

MN Scott
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1440 combine won't move Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You replaced the hydro motor and not the pump to? When one fails it fills the other with metal shavings and pretty much ruins it to. Good practice to go thru both the pump and motor for a long lasting repair.

ohiompuller

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1440 combine won't move Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check the drive hub or the pump shaft. The cast hubs will take the splines out. Have someone start the combine and make sure the input shaft to the hydro pump is turning. I have replaced a lot of these pieces.

tjiniowa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1440 combine won't move Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Need to change both the pump and the motor together as one unit. One will ruin the other

Dalet
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1440 combine won't move Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Replace the pump, motor, filter, fluid and bleed the air. If the drives are turning, replace the shafts too. If the shafts are stripped, you wasted lots of cash on the preceding advice. Embarassed

old fashioned farmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1440 combine won't move Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Howdy,

Just a quick update on the 1440. Dad and I were able to pull the combine into the shop (after disconnecting the shafts from the transmission to the drives). I may have blown the money on the new hydro. Apparently there is a bearing out in my transmission. Not too sure of the damage extent yet as I haven't dropped it out. Will be doing that this morning. Several ball bearings fell out when I drained the transmission yesterday evening.

I was sure that the hydro was the culprit before as there was a pretty bad sound coming from it before I replaced it but now I am wondering if my ears are just bad and the sound was actually coming from the tranny.

I appreciate the advice, especially on the replacing the pump and motor at the same time. New to these things so I did not know that. Hopefully can get this puppy back up and running so that when the snow from Sandy goes away we can finish our corn. God bless.

--old fashioned farmer

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Combines and Harvesters All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.