Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

6610 turbo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: 6610 turbo Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can I get a turbo from a 7610, put it on my 6610 and have a 7610?

Is the exhaust hole in the 7610 hood in the same place as 6610?

Fordfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: 6610 turbo Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sort of. Adding a turbo will get you more power, and I'm sure a turbo + a twist of the smoke screw will put your 6610 at or above a 7610's h.p. rating, but there's more than a turbo separating a 6610 and a 7610. A 7610 will have an engine oil cooler - I don't know if a 6610 does or not (doubt it). Factory turbo'ed engines also have oil-cooled pistons, which naturally aspirated engines don't. You will have to keep a close eye on exhaust gas temps if you do add the turbo. I'm pretty sure the exhaust holes are in the same place.

Bern
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 6610 turbo Reply to specific post Reply with quote

NO! Time to take a close look at the parts book. Once you get done seeing all of the differences, hopefully you will change you mind.

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 6610 turbo Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You could...but.... The turbo engine has oil cooled pistons, keystone rings, different valves and seats, larger injectors, nitrided crank and an oil cooler.
As long as you don't go crazy on the fuel screw it should be ok....

Rod

Bern
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 6610 turbo Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think his biggest problem would be keeping it cool. Let me re-state that. Keeping it cool would be his most immediate problem. Engine and driveline component longevity would be a longer term issue. I could see it cracking pistons within 1000 hours. A lot would depend of course on how hard it's used.

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 6610 turbo Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, cooling could be a problem. Driveline... Is pretty much the same on a 66 and 76. I would dare say if he set it on a dyno for 85 or so... It should be fine. My 77 is running around 105 for the past 3000 hours and is at 8000 total hours, original other than two head gaskets... I know of one that's probably close to 120... And he's broken some rings. I know the compression ratio is a bit lower on the turbo pistons but shouldn't be a big factor if he doesn't go too far.... I know... Famous last words.

Rod

Bern
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 6610 turbo Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Piston life would defintely be a concern since they are not oil cooled, not to mention the difference in compression ratio. I've seen factory stock 7610s crack pistons, not turned up, just worked hard all its life.

Clutch is lighter on the 6610 (12" vs 13"), and the finals are as well (2 speed vs single speed PTO). On the older 7000s and 7600s, the transmission gears and bearings were different as well.

If it was set to 85, I would agree, it would likely be fine, cooling aside.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 6610 turbo Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I appreciate the advice, and will abandon this plan.

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: 6610 turbo Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can't say for certain...but I think the rear ends and transmissions used the same components at least in the latter part of the 10 series. I know for certain that all had the same 13"clutch after 10/85 or some date around there. I know you're corect that the older series tractors did use heavier components on the 7xxxx tho.
As far as cracked pistons.... I'd have to wonder if some of that isn't due to a bit too much ether...

Rod

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.