Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mystery tools

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stephen Newell
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Mystery tools Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have these tools and wondered what they are and what they are used for. They are stamped Heller which I have learned has something to do with Farriers

DH in Carolina
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery tools Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Metal spinning tools?

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery tools Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i can't see the pic clearly.. but are there file grooves on the undersides?

Stephen Newell
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery tools Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There's no file grooves. It's just pointed rods.

Chip812
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery tools Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Think dentist's set of picks for your teeth. These are what farriers use to pick foreign objects out of hooves.

DiyDave

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery tools Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wooden handles are babbitt bearing scrapers, you usta use them to scrape the bearings, after casting them, it involved painting with prussian blue, bolting caps on, turn shaft a little, then unbolting and removing same, and scraping the babbitt till all was uniform.

DiyDave

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery tools Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Now that I got a second look, they may all be babbitt scraper tools. Remember that most farriers were blacksmiths, and blacksmiths would use the same tools, as they did for horses. Babbitt bearings are still used, and similar scrapers are still made.

BIG RUH
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery tools Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wood lathe tools

Old Bob
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery tools Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Those are not wood lathe tools

Stephen Newell
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery tools Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Agreed. I have 40 years experience as a custom woodworker and I've never seen anything like these tools.

NCWayne
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery tools Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got to be farrier tools. In the time I spent in the Navy I watched the guys in the shipyards scrap several of the BIG babbited bearings on our main shafts. The whole process was amazing to watch, espeically when it was being done to bearings that carried a shaft that was better than 24 inches in diameter. Then, on our shaft (#4 main engine on the USS America), it was even more of an adventure because the shaft was tweeked a bit and didn't turn exactly true. So, they had to scrap it so the shaft was supported and didn't bind even with the bend. That said they don't look like any of the babbit scraping tools I have ever seen, and those guys had a wide variety of shapes and sizes as their disposal.

TimV
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery tools Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do you have an old plumber in the family? I have a couple of similar ones that I got in a package deal from a fellow whose grandfather did plumbing work in NYC at the turn of the (last) century. He said they were used for working with lead pipe in the days when joints and unions (particularly ones at odd angles that didn't lend themselves to off-the-shelf unions) were made by piercing and scraping the pipes to fit roughly together with similar tools to these, then patching with oakum and pouring molten lead around them to complete the seal. For obvious reasons there's not much call for that type of work or the tools that did it nowadays!

JRSutton
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery tools Reply to specific post Reply with quote

that was my guess too.

mrpete

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery tools Reply to specific post Reply with quote

These ARE bearing scrapers--end of discussion.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery tools Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Agreed they look like bearing scrapers however the points on these have been rounded smooth. I went to google images and all the bearing scrapers I could find had sharper points. For several days now I've been searching the net and can't find anything that matches these tools. The thing that bugs me is the Heller Brothers Company specialized in making equestrian related products.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.