Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Metal Cut-off saw Recommendations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fergienewbee
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Metal Cut-off saw Recommendations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't do a lot with metal, although I have worked with metal studs in all gauges. Currently, I am enlarging my kennel and need to cut top rails to length. I don.t get a very straight cut with a hacksaw or jig saw. I might try a pipe cutter, but just wondered if anyone could recommend a saw for occasional use that didn't cost an arm and leg. Thanks.

Larry

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal Cut-off saw Recommendations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A simple circular saw with a metal cut off blade you buy at Wal-Mart works very well and the blade is around $5 for 3 of them in a pack

Butch(OH)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal Cut-off saw Recommendations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How much is an arm and a leg? LOL.
I have an Evolution Rage 3 and I love it. If you need to justify the cost you can also use it for woodworking. Also have a Milwaulkee 8" hand held metal saw. I love the cold saws, some don't, prefferances I guess? If you happen to get in love with a Rage 3 get to Lowes Quick! They quit selling the metal saws and have been fire sale pricing the Evolution blades to get rid of them. No saws left just blades.
Evolution metal saws

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal Cut-off saw Recommendations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you get one make sure it has a cast base rather than the stamped steel. The steel ones twist real easy and you get bad cuts. I bought a DeWalt because I thought it would be good, but it has the steel base and I hate it. The motor is good tho.

Awlknottedup
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal Cut-off saw Recommendations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My brother bought a Harbor Freight cut off saw. Three days after the warranty ran out he picked it up and the back pivot broke. He called HF and they said in so many words, TS.

He bought a Milwaukee as that is what I have as a compound miter saw. He said the Milwaukee was many times better than the HF and well worth the money.

I have told him many times to not buy something from HF with a power cord.

Bendee
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal Cut-off saw Recommendations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use a 9" angle grinder with a metal cut-off blade. A 4" would work,, with the thin c-o blades, but don't buy just 1 blade.They tend to wear quicker on thick metal.

PJH
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal Cut-off saw Recommendations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Milwaukee Portaband. I think I can scribe a line with a knife and leave half of the line. Don't know what you're thinking as for the cost. Bought mine used off of CraigsList for $80. Wouldn't take $180 for it now. They're pricey new. . .

Fergienewbee
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Metal Cut-off saw Recommendations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, all. I might try Old's idea.

Larry

dave2
Tractor Guru

Location: Kutzberg, Germany 1972 IHC 423 (German). 2.5 Liter 3cyl direct injection diesel 42HP

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: Metal Cut-off saw Recommendations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

fergienewbee wrote:
(quoted from post at 01:50:15 10/30/12) Thanks, all. I might try Old's idea.

Larry

Yea, or if you have a disc grinder, you may find at walmart or HD the little frame they clamp in to use them to chop (same principal as the little drill press frames). I've used dad's Ridgid tubing cutter to cut off shotgun and rifle barrels and cot 1 1/4 inch steel bar and it worked real slick also....

JRSutton
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Metal Cut-off saw Recommendations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

that's what I do - I got a cheap ryobi circular saw as a gift once - and I immediately put a metal cutting blade on it.

Don't use a good saw - it will melt and the guide plate/shoe gets all scratched up.

Not as good as a dedicated chop saw, and you do have to be real careful about kickback, but it works.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Metal Cut-off saw Recommendations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ya I buy old circular saws at auctions when I can get them cheap and use them to cut metal. I bet over the years I have burned out at least 10 of them but that was before I had a chop saw or a band saw and I have 2 chop saws now and one band saw but for big bulky stuff like sheets of metal they work just fine

bg/mo
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal Cut-off saw Recommendations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Get a chop saw it will cut better and safer, the circular saw ideal is not for pipe or anything thicker than sheet metal.

JDseller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal Cut-off saw Recommendations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dewalt makes two different models. The difference is about $50 and the better one has a cast base.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.