Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JB Weld

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CH(upstate,NY)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: JB Weld Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is it gasoline proof? Tanked my genny carb Friday, blew it out and reassembled it. Genny ran a little rough until I shut the fuel off than ran smooth until it ran out. Took the carb apart and found one of the ears that the pin that holds the float broke. Put a little JB to hold the pin and let it sit in case I needed it tonight.

So it it gas proof? If not, any recommendations?

JB weld

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: JB Weld Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think it could work but leave it for 24 hours to dry.

Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: JB Weld Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You really never know, if you got it clean and let it sit for 24 it may work fine. There is a product made to use in gas too.

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: JB Weld Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gasoline tolerant epoxies are available. I've used such to repair worn float pin bores in Ford/Holley carburetors.

Dean

JMS./MN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: JB Weld Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I used JB weld and fiberglas stripping to patch a Ford p/u tank over 5 years ago- corroded around the mounting straps. Warmed the JB tubes in hot water- mixed easier. Was a second tank, so let it dry a couple weeks. Still holds now.

redtom
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: JB Weld Reply to specific post Reply with quote

won't last. Bought a tractor once, ran good for a while then flooded. Took carb apart, seller had glued the brass float to the arm with JB, gas "melted" the JB.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: JB Weld Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If I was the dictator of all the world the first thing I would do is outlaw JB Weld.
Then I would outlaw women voting.
I used JB on a carb bowl once and it did not last more than a week or so and it sluffed off.
I have also cleaned and soldered more than one fuel tank that someone used JB on.
I find little use for the stuff.

t.r.k.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: JB Weld Reply to specific post Reply with quote

3 years ago the tank in my '69 1 ton started leaking. Pretty big deal since its in the back of the cab. So I replaced the tank.

On the bottom of the old tank was an old JB-weld patch. I bought the truck in '93 so it was on there then. . . 18 or 19 years. But I wonder if it was really the ethanol in the gas that loosened it up.

Your post reminds me of the Auto Mechanics shop back in the 80's. I broke a float lug off on a carb. in a volkswagen rabbit. My teacher told me to take it and show it to the instructor in the welding shop.
The old guy-probably 60+ years old- builds up the area with something he called 'sil-fos' or some such, cuts it back to shape with a Dremel Tool and drills a new hole for the float pin.

It worked fine.

G1355
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: JB Weld Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had luck but I let my tank sit empty for a week a year later it still holds

M-MAN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: JB Weld Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The old slow drying jb weld is gas proof when cured properly. Had an old mac chainsaw with a fuel tank busted half into that I put back together with it. Ran that saw several more years & it never let go. Try to use it like glue & it won't work.

Jason S.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: JB Weld Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In general regular JB Weld will hold for a while but it usually turns loose, but go get a pack of JB Marine Epoxy it is much more resistant to fuel.

JRSutton
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: JB Weld Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a carb float crack off once - tried jbwelding it back in place as it was my only real choice before rain got on the hay that was down.

Lasted a few months, but eventually got all rubbery and fell apart.

Somebody said it has to cure properly to work - and they may be right. I certainly didn't let my bandaid job cure properly - had to get it back up and running quickly.

Jim in LA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: JB Weld Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My Dad patched the gas tank on our 8n with JB weld. He used a piece of pillow case saturated with JB weld that had been thinned with paint thinner and it is still holding. I think we used about four tubes. The patch was about 6x8 inches. We first tried using gas tank epoxy but the patch just fell off after curing. A neighbor told him to use the JB weld and paint thinner and it worked. I used JB weld to seal a cracked brass emulsion tube (i think that's the right term) on my Harley carburetor years ago and it held up until last year when I disassembled the carburetor, I discovered the JB weld had started to soften. One of these days I will get around to patching it again so I can go riding.

Mark6005
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: JB Weld Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Only used it once 18-20 years ago on a couple leaks on my 8n radiator. Still have the 8n and no leaks. Hope I didn"t jinx it

dave2
Tractor Guru

Location: Kutzberg, Germany 1972 IHC 423 (German). 2.5 Liter 3cyl direct injection diesel 42HP

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: JB Weld Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think so....... Prolly the main problem with the stuff (that gives it the bad name) is the users that needed a "quick fix" and done the preperation "quick" also.....

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.