Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

8 tools you should never buy...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2x4
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: 8 tools you should never buy... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

anyone see that article on the Yahoo news? Curoius, I bit & found I owned 7 of'em. How many do you own?

bill mart
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 8 tools you should never buy... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

here's the link
link

big fred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 8 tools you should never buy... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've only got 4 of them, but I very much disagree on the floor stapler. My stapler paid for itself in the first job, and probably twice again in the second. It's a harbor freight unit, but it performed very well.

dave2
Tractor Guru

Location: Kutzberg, Germany 1972 IHC 423 (German). 2.5 Liter 3cyl direct injection diesel 42HP

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 8 tools you should never buy... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

1) small tile saw
2) 2 posthole diggers
3) several hammer drills in different sizes, one is also a chisel (hard to find a "normal" drill) Mine sure never cost 250 bucks tho Rolling Eyes
4) couple air and an electric paint sprayer (that are useless cause I'm afraid to use them Rolling Eyes )
5) several 4" and 7" diamond blades

RayP(MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: 8 tools you should never buy... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I will never rent or buy a self powered posthole digger - man killers. Takes two very strongmen, and would be better to have three or four. I have tractor mounted PTO driven unit. Holes are a breeze.

glennster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: 8 tools you should never buy... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have a 3 point post hole auger, airless sprayer, diamond blade for the. Partner saw, hammer drill,j roto tiller and a 75 foot drain auger.

Dick L
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: 8 tools you should never buy... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have the three point post hole auger and have put in several hundred fence posts and built two pole barns as well as pole horse shelters. I used a clam type hand post hole digger to clean the bottom of every hole before dropping a post or pole in the hole. A person can get a lot done in the time they would be running up and down the road renting and returning tools. Hard to get a job done of any size in a short enough time that the rent would be cheap. I choose to buy the tools and machines I need. Not many that I have not used enough to pay for themselves.

dhermesc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: 8 tools you should never buy... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think that was intended for people that live in town. Like the tiller, most people will only use one to put in a lawn and till a little 10X5 garden area.

Gambles
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: 8 tools you should never buy... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Over the past 5 years, I've put down about six grand worth of hardwood flooring in my house. I also maintain a huge garden. No way in the world that I would pad somebody's pocket by renting hardwood flooring tools or a garden tiller.

Goose
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: 8 tools you should never buy... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I read the article.

We needed to aerate our lawn this fall. It would have cost me $150 and a 60 mile round trip to rent an aerator.

I ordered an identical one online from Home Depot for $179 with free shipping.

S.Crum
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: 8 tools you should never buy... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I did a quick mental inventory and I have at least 1 of everything listed with the exception of the flooring nailer. I do however have a Bostich N88 framing nailer, does that count? Had a guy stop me a couple years ago down at the gas station, "Are you the one with the old John Deere with the post hole drill on the back"? I told him yes sir so he wanted to know what I'd charge to drill 10 holes 4' deep. I figured with transport and all $15 per hole. He thought I was crazy and left in a huff. Dunno how he made out, but from the looks of his new 3/4 ton diesel truck, $150 would likely be chump change.
I've always worked alone so as I needed a tool to get a job done efficently and correctly, I usually bought new.

Dean Olson
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: 8 tools you should never buy... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I disagree with that guys opinion.

You can never own too many tools. I find that the money I've saved over having it contracted more than pays for the specialty tools. I keep most of them but have done very well selling some after I'm done.

I sold my tile saw after 1 project. I'll hire any tile job done from now on. I don't care for that activity.

The best one was in 2005 I put in a boat and RV storage lot. Several different contractors bid +- 40K for the dirt work and crushed concrete.

I bought a brand new JD5103 with loader and box blade. Spent 17K on that and 16K on crushed concrete. Saved a bunch on that project and still enjoy the tractor to this day.

It did take substantially longer to get it done but I wasn't in a big hurry.

Chip812
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: 8 tools you should never buy... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't think we're the target demographic for that particular article. He's probably talking about the suburban, weekend handyman types with 1/4 acre... Rolling Eyes

timcasbolt
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: 8 tools you should never buy... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've got 4 of those, and haven't needed the other 4. And that $600 tiller I bought 20 years ago has paid for itself so many times over I've lost count.

NCWayne
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: 8 tools you should never buy... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got everything but the drain auger, flooring nailer, and diamond blade. So far I've never had a use for an auger, but when I do I will buy or rent one, have no need for a flooring nailer so that is a non issue, and although I do have a cut off saw I just use the abrasive blades and have never had any need for anything else.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.