Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Timing sight hole

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HillsofTn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:27 am    Post subject: Timing sight hole Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am rebuilding a To20 that has a badly cracked block. I have a replacement block from an early TE20 and it doesn"t have the timing hole. Is there any downside to just drilling one and then adding my own timing marks to match the ones on my other To20? (Which will also provide me with the proper location of the timing hole.)

maxwell99
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Timing sight hole Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i see no problem in drilling the new hole.

question: how did they time the engine on the motor with the new to you block.

they must have had a way to do it, if you figure that out, just time the motor the way they did it and you would not have to drill the new hole.

bet someone on the forum knows how they did it.

Richard L
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Timing sight hole Reply to specific post Reply with quote

hopefully this will link you to what I found in the ARCHIVES as that is a good place to look for most questions. Look at the the posts by John it explains where the timing marks are. http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=ferg&th=1068

trac
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Timing sight hole Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yeah John UK told me how to time my TEA i did not have the timing marks i'm sure its still in my email i'll try and send it to you if you would like. As far as drilling a hole it won't work theres a slide type mark in the hole that lines up with the marks flywheel. Wait just thought about it take starter off look in that hole for the grooved timing mark that must be it.

John(UK)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Timing sight hole Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It wont work as the timing is different on these two engines...John(UK)

John(UK)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Timing sight hole Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The Timing Marks on a TE20 Engine are on the Timing Cover and the marks are cast into the cover.

Tony in Mass.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Timing sight hole Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ummmm...aghhhhh.... You have the inards of a Cont z120, but the block from a Standard? I am just thinking about the location of the dist etc. You better lay everything out to compare dimensions etc.... better talk to John UK and 2 (actually 7) tractors about this...

Jeff-oh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Timing sight hole Reply to specific post Reply with quote

He says he has the block of a TE20... That would be a Cont. Z120 also.

The Standard motor would be a TEA-20.

Jeff-oh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Timing sight hole Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John,

Just to make sure my understanding is clear.

The timing of the TEA-20 Std. motor and the TO-20 Cont. Motor would be different for sure.

Are you also saying the Timing of the TE-20 Cont. Z120 motor and the TO-20 Cont. Z120 is also different? Not sure what would cause that other than the Lucus Distributor.

You are constantly point out new information for me... Thank you.

PackardV8
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Timing sight hole Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am currently in the same situation as HillsofTN. I have a TE20 with Z120 Cont engine. IT has NO timing hole in the block apron under the starter. BUT it DOES have flywheel timing marks identcal to my other tractor a TO20 with Z120 engine.

I need to research a little further on this but my plan is to NOT drill the block. Plan is to count starter ring gear teeth on the TO20 and then re-mark the TE20 flywheel. That way i can time with a timing lite by removing the lower sheet metal flywheel cover.

However all of this raises a question:

Can a TO20 Z120 flywheel withfactory timing marks on flywheel be placed on a TE20 Z120 engine. THen drill the TE20 block for a timing hole and have all of it line up just fine for timing????? As i understand the John(UK) explanation above the answer to that question is No???

Tony in Mass.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Timing sight hole Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ohhhhh. This is like the baby seat commercial! I don't think I knew that... nope, I know I didn't know that...
So the one I helped the archery club with last year was a TEA? Should have brought my camera...

PackardV8
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Timing sight hole Reply to specific post Reply with quote

See this thread:
http://ytforums.ytmag.com/viewtopic.php?t=955998&sid=17554f3c2da5aca6f06ecb92d4f04c03

especialy post:
Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:55 am About 2/3 the way down the thread.

Apparently the TE20's used miscellaneous methods of timing.

PackardV8
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Timing sight hole Reply to specific post Reply with quote

From a post from above Richard L recommended viewing:
http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=ferg&th=1068

***EDIT: fixed following statement to reflect correct screen name as just "John". ****
Here is a very useful quote made by John from that thread for all TE owners:

----------------------------------------
* Ignition Timing Marks:* Quoting from a book by Tracprez: -
Continental engines (TE20) before tractor serial 36152 have a line on the
crankshaft pulley, which lines up with a mark on the timing gear cover, at
TDC.
If there is no mark on crankshaft pulley, remove the starter motor and find
two punch marks on flywheel housing in starter orifice, these will mate
with 2 marks on flywheel at TDC. After s/n 36151 there is a flywheel inspection
cover on the ignition side of the engine, when cover is removed a TDC mark
and single degree line can be lined up against a pointer exposed in the
inspection hole; note inlet valve opens, ie tappet clearance is taken up, at
TDC.
--------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by PackardV8 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
trac
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Timing sight hole Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Always learning something new.

Richard L
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Timing sight hole Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am not saying that is the same John it does not say John (UK) it just says John.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.