Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OT-Collective knowledge needed....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbNga
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: OT-Collective knowledge needed.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

While trying to put my '50 model 8N in the garage, the door stopped about waist high. I can dis connect from opener system and push up manually without too much effort, the motor will retract the trolley if disconnected from door, but the motor refuses to raise door completely even if I am pushing up on door to help. I have tried tweaking the adjustments on the motor but no improvement is reached. What should I do next or does anyone know of a forum such as this one I can go to? Thx.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: OT-Collective knowledge needed.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Carefully hold the chain or what ever the motor uses to pull and the door and make sure you can not hold it back. If you can the motor is going bad and is weak. Reason I say carefully if it pulls to hard it can cause you to get hurt. Also if you do that listen for something slipping etc. Been to many years since I worked for a place that had a lot of those type doors that we fixed all the time

ARCO petee
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: OT-Collective knowledge needed.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

At least ware leather gloves. Might want to check to see the trolly was properly enguaged.

Roger in Iowa
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: OT-Collective knowledge needed.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is the rail for the trolly two piece. Had trouble with mine last week. The splice in the rail was loose and mis-aligned. Had to straighten and tighten. Trolley stopped at the splice.

don t-9n180179
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: OT-Collective knowledge needed.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds similar to mine when I had a broken door spring.

Robert Work

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: OT-Collective knowledge needed.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Try spraying some PB Blaster (or whatever you have on hand) on the rail where the trolley is sitting. Could be nothing more than a lack of lubricant on the rail.

Brad Buchanan
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: OT-Collective knowledge needed.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Whatever you do cut the power before working on the drive system.

There are small switches in the drive and if you hit one you could get your hand caught and have it run between the sprocket and chain.

Don't ask me how I know that.

Brad

BillM (OH)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: OT-Collective knowledge needed.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just replaced the drive sprocket on mine - big nylon? gear
was all eaten up - new one works fine. Got the part from
someplace up in Ontario, NY (Just google your make + parts).
IIRC it cost a whopping $27 or so. You have to remove the
cover to get to it.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.