Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you break the end of a moldboard?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fred from MO
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: How do you break the end of a moldboard? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I posted the other day questions about a plow I have (new to me). It has 2 moldboards out of 3 where the trailing end of the moldboards are broken. How would this have happened. Is it common or was it from abuse? Middle moldboard is ok out of the 3 and the outer moldboards are busted. Sorry the shadow in the picture hides a little of what I was wanting to point out.

Charlie M
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: How do you break the end of a moldboard? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Could have it a large rock.

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: How do you break the end of a moldboard? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Abuse.Someone simply backed into something or ran into it with some thing.If you have the pieces,you can repair them.When I was a kid,my father once 'tossed' a two bottom Ford plow from his pickup.It hit on the end of the moldboard-snapped like glass.Dad welded it back together and used it for several years.

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: How do you break the end of a moldboard? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is about the least stressed part of the molboard, so would be a very unusual thing to have happen in normal plowing? Unless the molboard is worn paper thin or something?

--->Paul

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: How do you break the end of a moldboard? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BTW,those look like IH Super Chief bottoms.They are still available...

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: How do you break the end of a moldboard? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My dad did that to a plow I have. He hooked a chain around it to pull something and broke the mild board in half. Of course in this start it could well happen by hitting one of them small rocks you find once in a while

BCnT
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: How do you break the end of a moldboard? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

my grandfather backed our Dearborn into a corner post when he was turning around...he had somebody weld it back in '65 or 66...i'm still using it.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: How do you break the end of a moldboard? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I saw a three bottom that had all of them broke that way at the sale in Archbold one time. Figured it had to have happened in transport on the way to the sale. They'd made some attempt to weld'em back on.

cumminspuller
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you break the end of a moldboard? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just bought a 3/14 Deere trailer plow and the guy said he hit a tree at the end of the field with the number one mold board and broke off the outside part like yours is in the picture.

RandyB(MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you break the end of a moldboard? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Most farmers did what they had to with what they had available. They had no "gators" , skidsteers , Quads or any of the "toys" most farmers have today. Tractors and equipment did a lot more than they were designed to do. Also a lot of very young drivers back then on tractors that were not very "youth freindly" if ya know what I mean. Crap happens when ya mix all that together. Lot of old machinery being pulled very carelessly out of tree rows/fence rows for scrap and then sold to someone to use/restore. Well , dammage done now.

Ol' Gimpy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you break the end of a moldboard? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks like in the picture the moldboard brace is missing.Like the guys said,not uncommon to have these break from being hit,etc. The old cast parts were even more brittle,I"ve broken many a share from rocks back in the old days,when new shares were $6 each!! That should date them.

donjr
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you break the end of a moldboard? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Welll, ya takes a board, an spreads some mold on it, like from an ol bale of hay or the barnyard. Then ya goes down ta town an gets one of them little Krean felllers whut knows karatee, an get him to Whack it onct or twice. They kin usually break em reel easy...or do ya call that a moldy board????

wolfman
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you break the end of a moldboard? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Probably got broken from back blow, not from plowing. I've plowed tough limestone clay with moldboard extensions and the boards would actually spring back without breakage - but don't back into a fencepost.

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you break the end of a moldboard? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You back into something....

Rod

Dean Olson
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: How do you break the end of a moldboard? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Probably abuse or not paying attention.

Years ago I picked up a C20 2pt fast hitch plow for my Farmall Super C. Really good shape. When unloading it my helper stayed on the joystick too long and the down pressure from the loader snapped the mold board in half.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.