Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Case-Landoll soil saver

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RGMartin
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Case-Landoll soil saver Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I need a soil saver/disc chisel as the stalks are getting to be too much for my chisel plow. Are the Landoll built Cases worth considering? There are a couple at an upcoming local auction.

I have been pulling a 8 shank 3 point hitch Bush Hog with my 970. Probably looking at a 7 shank.

CumminsMan
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Case-Landoll soil saver Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not sure how old you are talking, but Landoll has always built quality tillage tools. Not sure how close you are to Missouri, but I have a 7 shank soil-saver/disk chisel with two sets of points(straight/curved), that needs to go. It was my Grandpa's who retired 5 years ago, and I don't use it as I no-till. Reasonably priced, email open.

RGMartin
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Case-Landoll soil saver Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The trucking from Missouri would be cost prohibitive. I am in Western PA.

I would guess they are early to mid 80s because they are Power Red paint, spring reset shanks, spring mounted coulter gangs.

CumminsMan
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Case-Landoll soil saver Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This one is a 1982, too bad you aren't closer. Good luck at the auction.

d.borcher
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Case-Landoll soil saver Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What partt of Missouri you in im located in southeast nebraska and would be interested.
thanks
Dean

CumminsMan
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Case-Landoll soil saver Reply to specific post Reply with quote

West central MO, zip 64037

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Case-Landoll soil saver Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rich,
The Landoll Soil Savers were, still are, very dependable machines. We were onboard with Landoll, before Case marketed them. Landoll had a very agressive seat of the pants marketing program, which impressed a lot of farmers in our area, when they came to our dealership several times for field demonstrations/seminars on the benifits of shank tillage. Later this winter I will post some details, of their flying in to here and landing on our farm road, more than once.
A 7 shank Soil Saver will be a bit much for your 970. They had 4" twist shovels and needed to be pulled at a minimum of 5mph. If you have been dilligent, and have kept your "plow sole broken, the 7 shank may work, for you, but back when we were encourageing farmers to use shank tillage there were extreamly tough compaction zones 6-10" deep, that took 20hp/ shank, thus we sold 5 shank units behind 970s. a 9 shank would put a 1370 on it's arzz, due to traction issues, and a 2470 would struggle with an 11 shank. When ground speed dropped below 5mph the shanks would not lift and shatter the soil and pulled even harder.
Loren

IHr190
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Case-Landoll soil saver Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We just bought an 11 shank SC11, built by Landoll
this spring. The 1175 pulled it, but it was dry this
fall. We have a 2670 for it normally. Again, your 7
shank, might be a bit much for a 970. However, I
don't know what soils you have, maybe you could get
by with it. They are still great machines, and
handle stalks very well. If it fits your budget, I
would buy it. You can always get more steam later
when the budget allows.

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Case-Landoll soil saver Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Loren for a good, thorough explanation. I am continually baffled by how many shanks people on here say they can pull, yet how few moldboard plow bottoms some can pull?
I have found the opposite to be true.
I pull a 9 shank(Unverferth) with a Magnum 7240. Some times 5 MPH is all it will do. I did shallow it a bit though as things started breaking last year.

RGMartin
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Case-Landoll soil saver Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Adirondack case guy wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:11:56 11/01/12)
A 7 shank Soil Saver will be a bit much for your 970.

Thanks for the info,

We get into layers of clay if we go over 8" or so deep on some of this ground. Some more some less. On the 8 shank BushHog we always ran 3-2(6.5mph) at 7-8" using 3" twists, often slowing to 3-1(4.8mph) on headlands where there were compaction issues.

Any reason I couldn't run 2.5" or 3" straights, I am more after breaking the ground than burying trash.

JW
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Case-Landoll soil saver Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't think you'll gain much clearance over what you've got.

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Case-Landoll soil saver Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JW
A standard BH chisel has 12" shank spacing and no spring loaded colter gangs to cut stalks. The Soil savers had 15" spacing, plus the colter gangs up front and the tubular frame was filled with concrete.
Loren

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Case-Landoll soil saver Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rich,
It all depends on your soil. The straight points bolt directly to the shank rather than having a frog, point, and moldboard(twist shovel). The Approach angle of the Point on the Soil Saver setup is more agressive, lifting the soil above it. The straight shovels are more perpendicular and drag through the soil and have a tendancy to move the soil sideways, infact causing side compaction around them. (Not much soil shatter and lift).
Loren

RGMartin
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Case-Landoll soil saver Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'll see what they bring. Worst case I can drop 2 shanks I guess.

JW
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Case-Landoll soil saver Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I guess I didn't read close enough, I thought the BH he had was a disc chiesel. After I reread it I saw it wasn't. I agree it would be an improvement.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.