Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Farmall 240 Decal Placement - Help Needed.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Farmallhal
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Farmall 240 Decal Placement - Help Needed. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am about to start putting my 1958 Farmall 240 back together and have been thinking of an issue I will be coming up against in a couple of months. I can't find any documentation as to the decal location like is provided in Guy Fay's Originality Guide for the Farmall Letter Series tractors. I believe I have the best and complete set of decals available but have been unable to find anything useful as to their original factory locations. Bermuda Ken of CNG has offered to look into some original IHC blueprints for possible location data for the uncommon ones which are rarely seen so he might be providing something as well. Thanks for any assistance anyone can provide, Hal.

Mark Peters
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall 240 Decal Placement - Help Needed. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hal, I went out to the shed this afternoon and took these pics of the decal placement on my 587 actual hours Farmall 240 . These are original decals to the best of my knowledge. I bought this tractor from the original owners` son and he stated it was never touched as far as repainting goes ( I redid the white skirting a few years back because it was peeling , showing bare metal and I didn`t want it to rust). Hope this helps. P.S. Per your phone call, Wittek tower hose clamps on it too.

Radiator decal

Oil filter

Patent Decal on side of seat base

Battery Cover (Don`t turn at high speeds)

Air Cleaner

Light switch

Hitch to drawbar only (rear of seat base)

PTO shield

Farmall 240

Farmallhal
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall 240 Decal Placement - Help Needed. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Mark for the informative response with the pictures. I have two decals left that still need a home. One states "CAUTION - 6 volt electrical system" and the other "CAUTION - Stop engine before opening this cap (followed with a pointing arrow to something)" I think the latter could be linked to the Hydra-Touch system filler plug but that is just a guess. Neither the 240 Operators or Preventive Maintenance Manuals contains a caution about opening the filler plug with the engine running though. Thanks again for your assistance, Hal.

Bob zarse
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall 240 Decal Placement - Help Needed. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The stop engine goes right where you said. Right side of engine pointing to the oil filler cap. It is really hard to get this stick on. The caution 6 volt goes by the plug by you back lite.

Farmallhal
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall 240 Decal Placement - Help Needed. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bob, thank you very much for the info and after looking at my tractor this morning I see excatly where it goes. I guess the 6 volt decal isn't needed since I don't have the electrical break-away connector on the rear fender.

Mark Peters
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall 240 Decal Placement - Help Needed. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

farmallhal wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:26:32 11/03/12) I guess the 6 volt decal isn't needed since I don't have the electrical break-away connector on the rear fender.

Hal, Now that Bob jogged my memory , about the 6 volt decal going to the breakaway connector, that`s gotta be right. I have a couple NOS lights that plug into the breakaway connector and they have a 6 V decal on the light housing too. The connectors must have been an option. My F340 has one, but not my F240. I also took some more pics that you requested of the tachometer cable clips and gas line routing. The tach cable comes out on left side of tractor, then crosses to right side behind the engine. Good luck ! Mark

Tach cable clip on left side of tractor

Tach cable on right side of tractor

Gas line

Farmallhal
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall 240 Decal Placement - Help Needed. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mark, as always thanks for the pictures and now I have a clear understanding of how to route the tach cable. Looks like I need to install the carb and air cleaner and mock-up a piece of brake line for a new fuel line. I'll probably start with a solid piece of copper to get correct routing and bend the tubing to match with a hand bender. I'm not ready to install the fuel tank yet so that will have to wait a little while but now I have the pictures. Thanks again, Hal.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.