Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

pto hp

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kstowell

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: pto hp Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looking for the PTO horsepower to size a generator.I have a 1944 2N,now that SANDY has come and gone,hope to be ready for the next.Thanks for your help.

Bob Harvey
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: pto hp Reply to specific post Reply with quote

For the cost of fuel/maintenance, you may be better off buying a ready made generator. Lots of brands, lots of prices, lots of different quality. I have a 5600 Watt Craftsman unit that runs the whole house. Got it used for $200 and it burns 4 gals. in 10 hrs, Your choice. Luck!

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: pto hp Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A close friend grew up on a tobacco farm in southside VA. As the youngest kid, one of his jobs was to sit in the tractor seat all night & watch the oil pressure & water temp gauges when the PTO driven water pump was used to irrigate tobacco. I doubt you could get away w/ that today, so if you get generator for the 3-point, check into a low oil pressure and high temp cut-off sensor units for the tractor.
50 Tips

Dell (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: pto hp Reply to specific post Reply with quote

kstowell........NO PTO GENNYS. Yer 23hp 2N PTO runs at 540-rpms and needs to be geared-up to meet 60cps house power. 2nd, yer 2N burns 10-gals per 8-hrs.

Gitta ready built 5000-wt house genny that burns 1-gal per hour of regular gas. ........Dell

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: pto hp Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If as designed, your 2N should produce about 23 PTO HP at 2100 engine RPM, and about 18.7 PTO HP at 1800 engine RPM, which approximates 540 PTO RPM.

For what PTO RPM is the generator designed?

Dean

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: pto hp Reply to specific post Reply with quote

an 8k genny will be more suited to your tractors output.. but I have a 12.5k i have run on my 8n.

if in good condition.. you can make mOST of it.

need a good governro really though.

soundguy

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: pto hp Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ptogensets designed for 540 rpm inout are SUPER common.

northern tools.. tiger, winco.. harbor freight even...

plenty of options.

I have a northern 12.5k model... my stepdad has a 24k model..

kstowell

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: pto hp Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks to all for your replies,Kevin

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.