Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Battery terminal wiring question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul in Edmonton
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Battery terminal wiring question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just bought a couple of these:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/3/Batteries/BatteryTerminal/PRDOVR~0111084P/Heavy-Duty+Lug+Terminal%2C+1+Gauge.jsp?locale=en

Along with some 1 gauge welding wire.

My problem is that the hole in the crimping bolt isn't big enough for the 1 gauge wire to go through. The package is clearly labelled as being 1 gauge (as is the welding wire). And both are identical, so it's not like somebody mislabelled one.

Clearly there's a trick (or "technique") to inserting the wire. Can anyone enlighten me? (Or should I just take them back and get the copper ones that are crimped the regular way?)

Thanks,

-Paul

Bob Harvey
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Battery terminal wiring question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You could probably solder them in, best way. HTH

NOXJohn
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Battery terminal wiring question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Take them back and get the ones already made up. If you do not make a good connection you will always have a problem. The gage of stranded wire is a function of the actual cross section of the conductor material not the diameter. The strands can be assembled tightly on not so tightly and still be the same gage. You may see words like compact strand or compact round for the same gage of wire. They have a slightly different diameter.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery terminal wiring question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i use the copper solder on ends.. or make my old with 1/2" copper pipe pounded flat and drilled thru 1 end.. etc.

ont hose.. I be you could enlarge the ID of the crimp bolt a lil with a drill and force it in.. clean upt he wire real good and giv ethe hairs a slight twist..e tc.

grease the connection if no soldering..

Paul in Edmonton
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery terminal wiring question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I took 'em back and got the copper terminals. Crimped 'em hard and put in some solder.

-Paul

Last edited by Paul in Edmonton on Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. T. Minnesota
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery terminal wiring question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Paul,
Would do as suggested, flux cable and insert vertically into the connector. Put the heat (torch) to it and melt in the solder. It will take a little solder. I would be hesitant to use the crimping nut- would not trust it in the long run.
Thought I was the only one that does as Soundguy does. That technique costs a lot less money!
Hope this helps!
Mr. T. Minnesota

Bob Harvey
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery terminal wiring question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You and SG beat me to it! Brane is a 'tad' slooow.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery terminal wiring question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yep.. I'm cheap nowadays witht he bad economy.. have to be.

scrap copper pipe is still pretty easy to come by. pound one side flat.. drill out for bolt.. trim round on end if needed with grinder wheel. stick cable in.. flux.. solder.. usually get solder around the hole too.

never had one fail. virtually ffree ends too.. just a lil gas, flux and solder cost..

heybusdriver
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery terminal wiring question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I done the same thing as soundguy, I got lucky at
a garage sale , i bought 25 feet of welding cable
1 gauge that i cut in half for jumper cables,
bought 2 spring ends @ Princess Auto , when I got
home I noticed one of the ends was missing the
clamp screw , didn't want to travel round trip of
18 miles , so used a copper pipe soldered in the
wire crimped the other end in my vise drilled a
hole thorough , used a small bolt for extra hold .

Stan
2N with 8N motor 8N345567
8N 146710
8N 179555
8N 197904
8N 199000
8N 254079
8N 362039

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.