Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A couple of sorghum harvest pics just for fun

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haley
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: A couple of sorghum harvest pics just for fun Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have been back and forth between beans and sorghum for about two weeks now and snapping a couple of pictures when I can.I took the video camera with me the other day to try my luck at making a video to post but it turned out to be a day not made for making videos!I will try again soon.Also more pics to come soon.

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: A couple of sorghum harvest pics just for fun Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanks for posting I have never seen this crop what is it mainly used for? great pics looks like the machine is doing a great job too thanks to a good operator setup I am sure cnt

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: A couple of sorghum harvest pics just for fun Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Some years ago, at the end of corn harvest, a neighbor asked if I would combine his few acres of buckwheat, and sorghum! I had never done either. And didn't want to get my grain head back out from storage. But I did. I didn't do a very good job. The first bin full of buckwheat was dirty, but I got the second one cleaned up. I don't recall the sorghum in the bin, but recall that it threshed hard, unlike the buckwheat, which appeared to be shelled off about when it got into the head!
The miserable old neighbor made sure I knew his old combine could do a better job!
Looks like you're doing a beautiful job.
Those row crop heads used to be very popular here for red kidney beans. Now it's all soybeans.

Haley
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: A couple of sorghum harvest pics just for fun Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think the northern guys call it Milo.Around here most of it goes to Pennington seed in Madison Ga to be used in bird feed.It has really caught on around here in the last couple of years because it is extremely drought tolerant and is priced pretty much with corn sometimes higher.I hear that it is also catching on for use in making ethanol.Makes great hog feed too!

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: A couple of sorghum harvest pics just for fun Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've never seen sorghum but by the looks of what's in the tank I'd say you're doing a good job of cleaning it up. Thanks for the pics. Jim

casecollectorsc
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: A couple of sorghum harvest pics just for fun Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do you have to do much to make the JD heads work on the Ford??

Haley
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: A couple of sorghum harvest pics just for fun Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you really want to see what your combine is made of then drive off in some of this thinking you are just going to mow it down like wheat and you will get a rude awakening!This time of year for us the grain has barely dried down but the stalk is still very much alive and growing new chutes for another head,At this stage it is some of the wettest,greenest,stickiest stuff you will ever run through a combine.I've had the cyl stopped up in sorghum than any other crop I cut.You honestly wouldnt believe the amount of green that we are sending through the machine when it is in this stage,Wierd thing is that after a frost it combines like a totally different crop.

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: A couple of sorghum harvest pics just for fun Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That does sound familiar. I just clipped the tops to get the heads in. (It looked like corn but with a dark head where the tassel would be). And they were VERY tough. I don't know if it would ever really grow and mature correctly here.

Haley
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: A couple of sorghum harvest pics just for fun Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Very little had to be done.The jackshaft to drive it takes the most time.i will try to take some pics in the next few days of the shaft and feederhouse adapter.

Tommy Railsback
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: A couple of sorghum harvest pics just for fun Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can also pop it like popcorn; it's good.

1206SWMO
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: A couple of sorghum harvest pics just for fun Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nice looking sample in the bin...I'm already starting to itch just looking at it..For those that dont know,milo dust itches about like poison ivy..Lets just say that I've combined far too much milo in my lifetime..Milo used to be a huge crop in SWMO but its pretty much been crowded out by corn..

oj
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: A couple of sorghum harvest pics just for fun Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Haley, great to see another pic of your old girl, interesting to see a JD head on it too... i looked for a grain header for my Claas 106 for the last couple of years, this year i made a massey fit... 2381 flex head (22ft), surprisingly easy... like you say, jackshaft was the hardest part, and that wasn"t exactly hard.

Down under farmer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: A couple of sorghum harvest pics just for fun Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here in Australia most milo is sprayed out with round up o kill it before harvest usually 2 weeks before that fixes the problem with the green stalks and helps dry the grain down quicker to

paul Em
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: A couple of sorghum harvest pics just for fun Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Whats the difference between a 443 JD head and that 454 other than the high tin?

Haley
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: A couple of sorghum harvest pics just for fun Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A 443 is a corn head isnt it?If it is there is a LOT of difference in the two.The 454 uses two wavy belts to hold the crop while a rotating star shaped knife cuts it against a stationary knife.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Combines and Harvesters All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.