Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cultipacker: single vs. double

View previous topic :: View next topic  
orangepower
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Cultipacker: single vs. double Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm hopefully gonna plant some alfalfa next spring. Not sure yet if we will broadcast the seeds or use a drill (depends on which machine I find at a good price). I've been looking at some cultipackers. Doubles seem to be pretty expensive. Found a couple single rollers that are in my price range. My question is will the single roll packer be sufficient to pack the seeds down? Thanks for your time.

RayP(MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Cultipacker: single vs. double Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Single should work well. We used a single for years here, when I was a kid. Last few years I"ve been planting without any cultipacking at all, with good results. Acquired a single this fall, and am looking forward to fewer rocks sticking up, smoother fields, etc. next season.

kevinecwi
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Cultipacker: single vs. double Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Single has worked good here the last 40 years.

wijim
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Cultipacker: single vs. double Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know you know, the alfalfa seed goes in the grass seed box on the grain drill. Just saying. Everyone around here uses single rollers. Jim

orangepower
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Cultipacker: single vs. double Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Right. Need a drill with the small seed box. Seed just drops out on ground.

maxwell99
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Cultipacker: single vs. double Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i have an old Brillion double row,

it works good, grass will sure come up better when rolled

would not want to be without one.

neighbors have borrowed it, picked it up with a boom pole and carried it many miles.

always gets a good report.

RayP(MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Cultipacker: single vs. double Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Note - I plant alfalfa with a grain drill, along with oats. Oats are a nurse crop, keeps the weeds down until the alfalfa gets established.

Fordfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Cultipacker: single vs. double Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a Brillion SS12, used to have a SS10, both double rollers, with their own seed boxes. Seed is dropped between the rollers, so only the rear roller pushes the seed in. If you're putting it on with a drill, a single would work just fine. Grass/alfalfa seed doens't need to be deep.

James Howell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Cultipacker: single vs. double Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This information on Planting Methods for Alfalfa recommends planting depth should be about 1/4 inch.

A single roller cultipacker should work just fine for planting alfalfa seed.

We use a double roller 8ft Brillion Sure-Stand Seeder for planting our grass seed.

Allis Dave
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Cultipacker: single vs. double Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is no majic to a double cultipacker. A double is just the same as running a single over the field two times. Way back tractors weren't big enough to pull doubles. If the ground was really soft grandpa used to run the double across the field 2-4 times to get a good firm seed bed. You just keep packing until you feel you have a good bed to drill into.

Farmallb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Cultipacker: single vs. double Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mention was made of rolling a field several times till gramps felt the field was fine for drilling.
Ive always wondered about packing a field prior to planting corn. Whats you guys thoughts on that? I have an old 3 section brillion packer that has the disc and spike wheels opposite each other.

maxwell99
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Cultipacker: single vs. double Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i think that would be too much.
I have a small 2 row jd planter and it has press wheels, field may look rough, but the row where the corn is planted is smooth, corn always comes right up.

tbish
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Cultipacker: single vs. double Reply to specific post Reply with quote

u can broadcast it if u choose run the cultipacker over the field first sow ur seed then cultipacker again i done it alot this way get good results both ways work fine

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.