Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Rust stuck M farmall

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronald Jeter
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Rust stuck M farmall Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What is the best way to free up a stuck engine
I heard some where soak the pistons over nite with water
has any one tried that?
Whats the harm it's already stuck
Please reply with your idea's

the tractor vet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust stuck M farmall Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it is really stuck there is only one cure and that is a tear down. IF it is a licght stick from setting then some Good penetrating fluid and i don't mean WD 40 . But you need to see if there is water in the holes . Having a bore scope to take a look see thru the spark plug holes is a huge plus. If you see nothing but RUST then it is head and pan pulling time , if just light rus down around the one or two pistons then there is a good chance she will break loose with some messen around .

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust stuck M farmall Reply to specific post Reply with quote

14lb. sledge and a round block of wood that is same size as bore.liquids are only helpers.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust stuck M farmall Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ooh and first, clean and hone out rust from cyl's first.

toymaker 27
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust stuck M farmall Reply to specific post Reply with quote

once the pistens are driven out I have not found anything that will release the rings if they have been exposed to anti freeze other than a thin chisel and a ball hammer.

jim warehime
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust stuck M farmall Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Try putting some diesel fuel in each cylinder and let it soak for a week or so then try pulling it in 5th gear and slowly releasing the cluth. You don't want to pull it on hard ground asphalt ect were there is any type of hard resistance as it could damage or bend the crank,rods ect. We have used that method before and has worked great. This is one of the subjects where everyone has a different method that they prefer and I look forward to hearing some other methods jim.

KY PLow Boy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust stuck M farmall Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can't speak from experience as I didn't get the chance to use it....tractor was sold out from under me.....But you might take a look at this stuff. I'm not endorsing it just something to chew on.... Here is a link:

http://www.seized-engine.com/

I have enough to do a four cyl. engine. If you thought you might wanna try it. It's just sitting in my cabinet.

El Toro
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust stuck M farmall Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pull the head and oil pan. Remove anything flammable. Pour kerosene on top of one piston and set it on fire. Have the rod cap off that piston. Make sure you're not near any building.
Use a big hammer and a piece of 2 X 2 oak then see if the piston can be driven out. You may need to heat it again. Hal

gene bender
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust stuck M farmall Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have you pulled the plugs and looked at the bores to see if there is rust on the wall if they are rusted quit wasting time and tear it down.

Tom Fleming
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust stuck M farmall Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lots of ways to do it, but it really depends upon how badly they are stuck. Gene gave by far the best overall answer (no offense to anyone else, as most were good answers). If the cylinders just have a bit of "flash" rust on them, you can probably get away with shooting 1/4 cup of your favorite penetrating oil/mix into the cylinders. Let her set for a week or two. Then put it in gear and slightly "rock the tracktor back and forth. When I say slightly, I mean slightly. too much and you will bend connecting rods.

Now, if there is serious rust in the cylinders, do as Gene (and others) said, and tear her down.

Last edited by Tom Fleming on Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
jeffalex2
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust stuck M farmall Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I freed the Allis with PB Blaster soak and rocking...went thru about 3 cans and was gentle when rocking.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust stuck M farmall Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Most of the tractor I buy are with locked up engines from sitting for a long time. A lot depends on if it is rust from sitting or rust from having an open exhaust system and the cylinders filling with water. If they filled with water it is rebuild no matter what but if stuck from sitting for years DO NOT fill with water but do fill the cylinder with ATF and let it sit for a week or so then set a 12 volt battery in and use short fast taps on the starter button to see if it frees up. I have had very good luck doing that and out of more then 20 all but 2 or 3 freed up

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust stuck M farmall Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You got a dozen responses, and all different. What do you think you should do?

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust stuck M farmall Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Steel pistons or aluminum? I bought an F20 with aluminum pistons that were oxidized. There wasn't much rust at all but those babies were in there tight. Soaked them with every elixor I've ever heard about for a year and they wouldn't come loose without a good pounding with an oak block the size of the piston and a sledge hammer. I have been successful with a few lightly stuck ones using ATF.

I got lucky one time screwing a hydraulic hose in a spark plug hole and putting hydraulic pressure to it, making sure the valves were closed first. I said I got lucky because I could have bent rods or broken the crank slicker-n-a whistle. One suggestion I heard was to find a piston that's near the top and concoct an adaptor to fit a grease zerk in the spark plug hole. Fill the piston with oil, then start pumping in grease with a grease gun. I can see a bent rod happening that way too.Jim

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Rust stuck M farmall Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There are as many potions and rituals for unsticking engines, as there are engines. Never heard of using WATER.

Frankly, there's probably already water in there. The engine isn't freeing up is it? That should tell you how good the water idea is.

The rest of the ideas work to varying degrees. Usually the engine can't be very badly stuck to begin with if you want to end up with a runner without tearing it down.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters