Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Log Splitter CYLINDER

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lenray
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Log Splitter CYLINDER Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a hyd. cylinder 3 FT. long 2 1/4 dia. piston and the cylinder is 4 in. in dia. it does a good job with my 756 IHC.

I want to replace it with a cyl. that is 3 ft. 3 in. long a piston that is 2 in. in dia. and the cylinder is 4 1/2 in. in dia.

A little diff. in the dimensions , but not much---what do ya think?????????

Lou from Wi.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Log Splitter CYLINDER Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Only difference I can see will be the length of log you will be able to fit into the cradle, it will be 3 inches shorter.As for power of the cylinder or speed, the link below you add your numbers to the boxes and it will show you the difference in speed or power.LOU
poke here

lenray
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Log Splitter CYLINDER Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Lou---I think it is 3 inches longer--the one I want to use.

johndeere720GA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Log Splitter CYLINDER Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lou Has is Right. The longer cylinder will decrease the log length by 3 inches. Unless you are cutting the existing mounts and rewelding them. Another thing to think about is if the current ram and wedge or push block (depending ou your configuration) go all the way to the other end of the splitter; will the new cylinder cause things to hit when fully extended?

lenray
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Log Splitter CYLINDER Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK I see what you mean---I should have mentioned that I was moving the new cylinder back to a new mounting---I didn't explain it very well.

THANKS

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Log Splitter CYLINDER Reply to specific post Reply with quote

lenray wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:10:02 11/04/12) OK I see what you mean---I should have mentioned that I was moving the new cylinder back to a new mounting---I didn't explain it very well.

THANKS
Using Lou's calculator reference, you will see that the reduction from 2.25 to 2 inch will result in a force reduction, such that you will have only about 80% of what you had before.

Cliff Nelson
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Log Splitter CYLINDER Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You say the new one has a 2 inch dia piston with a 4 1/2 inch cylinder. Are you measuring the rod dia as the piston and is the 4 1/2 inch the outside dia of the cylinder? If that is the case you are gaining force by a larger dia cylinder (assuming the wall thickness is the same thereby increasing the piston dia by 1/2 inch). The rod dia is 1/4 in smaller which will slow the retraction speed slightly but not noticeable on a cylinder of that size. It should work out good.

OldFarmTractor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Log Splitter CYLINDER Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The size of the rod should have little or nothing to do with the force exerted by the cylinder. The size of the cylinder and the part that the fluid pushes on is the key. I do assume this is a double acting cylinder.

If you measure the ID of the cylinder and then calculate the cross sectional area. Then take the pressure of the system and you can determine the force on the rod or in math...

F= P x A or F = pressure x pi x r x r
Force on a Hydraulic Cylinder

El Toro
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Log Splitter CYLINDER Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't think you're going to gain that much by changing. If your pump is a two-stage it will split about anything you have. I quit using the fireplace and bought a stove years ago and I always cut the wood about 24-26" long. I built this splitter in 1982 and I bought the pump and control valve from Northern Hydraulics. The cylinder was off an Army vehicle called the Goer. It was steering cylinder and was sold at a gov auction. Then they moved it about 50 miles away. I bought a nice lawn trailer too. Hal

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.