Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help identifying 4020

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete1989
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Help identifying 4020 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What does everyone think of this 4020?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JOHN-DEERE-4020-TRACTOR-2WD-RUNNING-GOOD-CONDITION-/251179364129?pt=UK_BOI_FarmingEquipment_RL&hash=item3a7b74ef21

Owner says is has had a new back end at some point. The serial seems to be taken from that as it comes out as a '65, but according to the dash and engine its a 69/70.
Floor pan and dust shields look original, but then where those fenders came from who knows!
Also no spools on the back. Very confusing and as it stands a pretty useless tractor.

Last edited by Pete1989 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Kh
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Help identifying 4020 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Its not even the US that the tractor is in so who knows

Pete1989
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Help identifying 4020 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Its about 20 miles down the road from me here in the UK. 4020s aren't easy to come by over here, you might see 4/5 for sale a year.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Help identifying 4020 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It appears to me that the trans case has been replaced. It's a flat back wheatland(standard) model with no 3pt or SCV's built prior to 1969

Cooney Minnie
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identifying 4020 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Interesting... seems to have parts from more than one tractor. The dust shields are from a 1965 or later standard... the fenders from a 64 or earlier (like 4010) standard. There is evidence that these fenders were available after 64- but I don't think with the dust shields. Anyway, thats the way it was in the states. Not so sure about European offerings.

The top cover on the transmission must be from some other tractor as well. Note it has a rockshaft. Yet the drawbar is a wide swing, with no provisions for the 3 point arms that should attatch to the rockshaft!

huh...

Pete1989
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identifying 4020 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Going to see it tonight so will get some better pics and have a better idea of what is original.
It would have been imported from the US at some point. It doesn't have the extra safety features/lights that an original import would have had.

larryanderson
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: Help identifying 4020 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tractors over 45 yrs old can have quite a story.Johnny Cash had a song about a Caddy that was done one piece at a time and it didnt cost him a dime and thats why pieced together tractor usually start at salvage value.I have a neighbor that just got hired to help farm in the U.K.and you can rent 400 acres for the price of one in our county.Sounds crazy but they [supposedly] have over 10000 acres.I am sure there is a reason.

larryanderson
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Help identifying 4020 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The Elephant ear fenders will bring at least $450+ dollars ,the wide front if good $750+.The supposedly 5412 hour late model motor could bring $2000+.The seat looks like a was on a 2cyl.The hood and dust shields look decent.The rest $200 a ton.Interesting tractor to talk about but I would never buy it.

MJ in the UK

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Help identifying 4020 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Pete, hope you have time to come to the big indoor tractor show at Newark this weekend. I orginise the feature tractors every year and this year I am featuring Perkins diesel tractors. MJ

Pete1989
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identifying 4020 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Went to have a look at it this evening:
Originally in was a side console, with large fenders, dust shields, swing draw bar and one SCV. This is because its an oval exhaust, and it has the original side console tower on the floor next to it with just one level in it for the scv.

Now though, the whole back end has been replaced with an early row crop one. Meaning it now has the rockshafts and no where for the side console to bolt on to.

All a bit of a pickle, would have been nice to have the fenders and panels as they were the best things on it. Safe to say we left it though.

Pete1989
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identifying 4020 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

MJ in the UK wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:17:50 11/06/12) Hi Pete, hope you have time to come to the big indoor tractor show at Newark this weekend. I orginise the feature tractors every year and this year I am featuring Perkins diesel tractors. MJ

Hi MJ, yep my brother will be taking 3 tractors and 2 lawn mowers. Unfortunatly nothing Perkins powered but should be a great show.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.