Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

871 ford sos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scadam
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: 871 ford sos Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got a 871 im getting ready to sell what are they going for now got good tires on rear and new tires on front everything works good runs excellent been painted awhile back still looks good for work tractor just looking to see some going rates for these tractors thanks in advance

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 871 ford sos Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A close friend of mine bought a good looking and running 881 about 10 days ago for $2000. The owner, a dealer, said he had advertised it for six months all over the region and could not sell it.

Dean

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: 871 ford sos Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Scadam, there are huge differences between an original SOS and a blue SOS. The originals as everyone knows had a lot of problems. As with many things throughout history, the problems were addressed in the upgrade. There are tens of thousands of blue SOSs in both red and blue Fords out there working every day. The blue ones have a drain plug on the bottom and the cover has a sideways slant on the right end of the hump. I urge you to be a part of educating people on the difference.

Larry NCKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: 871 ford sos Reply to specific post Reply with quote

showcrop wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:46:36 11/06/12)
Scadam, there are huge differences between an original SOS and a blue SOS. The originals as everyone knows had a lot of problems. As with many things throughout history, the problems were addressed in the upgrade. There are tens of thousands of blue SOSs in both red and blue Fords out there working every day. The blue ones have a drain plug on the bottom and the cover has a sideways slant on the right end of the hump. I urge you to be a part of educating people on the difference.

Showcrop, this is a good start, however it is not entirely correct. I have a '63 4000 with blue transmission, casting # C0NN-7006-B, that has no drain plug in the bottom of the case. I think this was a running change. I also have two '64 4000s, transmission casting # C3NN-7006-B, that do have the plug.

Casting numbers are more important to identifying which transmission is installed than describing slants and plugs. The two numbers listed above are blue (DDC) casting numbers. A 312259 casting number would indicate a red (ORC) transmission which is, as you have said, less desirable. I do know there are still numbers of them out there working flawlessly, however.

Having said all this, I have seen the extremely rare exception to the casting number rule. I have run across a prior 4000, equipped with the blue transmission, with a casting number of 312259.

Last edited by Larry NCKS on Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: 871 ford sos Reply to specific post Reply with quote

PS: I would have bought this tractor had I known about it.

I have been keeping my eye on a local 64 4000 utility SOS that appears to be in very good condition and has PS and a remote but no PA rims.

It just came on the market and the owner is asking $4250 which he will not get. When the price gets down below $3000, I will go take a look.

Dean

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: 871 ford sos Reply to specific post Reply with quote

not in florida are ya? Smile

scadam
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 871 ford sos Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Im in south carolina

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 871 ford sos Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Larry NCKS wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:38:10 11/06/12)
showcrop wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:46:36 11/06/12)

Showcrop, this is a good start, however it is not entirely correct. I have a '63 4000 with blue transmission, casting # C0NN-7006-B, that has no drain plug in the bottom of the case. I think this was a running change. I also have two '64 4000s, transmission casting # C3NN-7006-B, that do have the plug.

Casting numbers are more important to identifying which transmission is installed than describing slants and plugs. The two numbers listed above are blue (DDC) casting numbers. A 312259 casting number would indicate a red (ORC) transmission which is, as you have said, less desirable. I do know there are still numbers of them out there working flawlessly, however.

Having said all this, I have seen the extremely rare exception to the casting number rule. I have run across a prior 4000, equipped with the blue transmission, with a casting number of 312259.

Dean, putting aside the finer points of ID ing red vs. blue do you agree that there is a substantial difference in serviceability and thus value?

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 871 ford sos Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not regarding value as very very few buyers will know the difference.

Dean

NWMO 901 SOS
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 871 ford sos Reply to specific post Reply with quote

showcrop,

I have a 1960 971 w/ the ORC transmission and it has served me well. As has been pointed out in the past, if you come across an ORC tractor and it all seems to be working well, it will likely continue to, 50+ years of service is substantial. That being said, a DDC transmission is certainly preferable. As to value though, I don't think it would add more than a couple of hundred dollars vs. an ORC. Certainly not more than $500 at the most (IMHO).

I will add, it might make a much bigger difference if you were trying to earn a living with or competition pulling with the tractor. However, most of us use our tractors for 100 hours a year or so and on relatively light duty tasks.

One of the things I do prefer with the DDC trannies is getting away from the "free-wheeling" gears found with the ORC transmission.

Chris

Last edited by NWMO 901 SOS on Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.