Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ford 903 post holedigger driveshaft

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bob kuczynski
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: ford 903 post holedigger driveshaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

my old driveshaft is rotted in the middle and wont spin properly after sitting for years on the ground.
1. cheaper for me to cut the center out and weld in a new pipe or buy a new or used one and take a chance?
2. is this an easy fix for a welder these days? 3. can a local tractor garage do it? 4. what size and type metal is that shaft?
my project is in southern mo. any suggestions?
thanks
thanks.

Tony Jacobs
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: ford 903 post holedigger driveshaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello Bob , Take your driveshaft to a Driveshaft Shop that repairs driveshafts for cars and trucks they can weld a tube in and BALANCE IT so that it does shake and vibrate when you are using it . Thanks Tony

bob kuczynski
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: ford 903 post holedigger driveshaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

not familiar with a driveshaft shop. is it a branch of a tractor repair shop? got any links to one of these repair shops? is it in a phone book as such? got a ballpark cost for the job handy? thanks.

RickB
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: ford 903 post holedigger driveshaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Take the input shaft diameter and shearbolt diameter to a decent equipment dealership or Ag. supply store. Complete replacement driveshafts run $125-$175 depending on what and where.

bob kuczynski
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: ford 903 post holedigger driveshaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanks.
anyone got a ballpark repair cost to cut out the old shaft? both ends on mine are fine. just curious because one guy thinks im made of money and wants me to just buy a new one and one guy says save yourself money and fix the old one.
my digger isnt used every day. heck, id be lucky if i use it once every 2 years.
advice?

NoNewParts
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: ford 903 post holedigger driveshaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

bob kuczynski wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:02:45 11/06/12) thanks.
anyone got a ballpark repair cost to cut out the old shaft? both ends on mine are fine. just curious because one guy thinks im made of money and wants me to just buy a new one and one guy says save yourself money and fix the old one.
my digger isnt used every day. heck, id be lucky if i use it once every 2 years.
advice?

been a lot of years, but it cost me about $80 to have a custom shaft made out of two, re-welded,
and balanced back in my drag race days.
A auto wrecking yard did it for me. a real one, not the re-cycle yards of today.
ask your local drag racers, speed shops, and such.
They will know someone that does this work for racers that
are swapping parts/rearends,etc
final balance on a car, can be done with chalk and some hose clamps,
don't know if I would try that on a tractor implement.......

RickB
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: ford 903 post holedigger driveshaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The only 'ballpark price' worth a deep breath is one given by someone willing and able to do the job.
Don't expect to pay less just because the machine sits idle most of the time, life doesn't often work that way.
You start paying for $75 to $100 per hour shop time, that new shaft will look pretty cheap. My shop won't let a PTO shaft leave without an intact safety shield. They aren't cheap, either.

bob kuczynski
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: ford 903 post holedigger driveshaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

then i'd suppose i should be asking if anyone knows where i can find a good shaft in s.mo. or n.ark?
anyone know?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.