Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Plowing.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
High Octane
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Speed Plowing. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

anybody do this with a letter series farmall?

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Speed Plowing. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Why would you want to?

Dave_Id
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Speed Plowing. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Maybe just to see how far you can fling the dirt with the plow.

gene bender
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Speed Plowing. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The problem is the style of the bottom on the plow as some will just throw the dirt unless you dont care.Add on cover boards could help but you got to remember those old bottoms werent made for speed. I did plow onetime fall planted rye grass in the spring things were just rite had M with 3-14 and used 2-od Heisler 1/2 throttle could throw dirt pretty good at full throttle running 8in deep in good black ground.

robgIN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Speed Plowing. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I really don't see the point in it, other than its a good way to tear up your equipment. Something most of us would have gotten a boot in the backside for if our dad had ever caught us treating his stuff like that. My take on it is its kinda like Jacka$$ with tractors...

Charlie M
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Speed Plowing. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Around here it would just get you a lot of broken plow parts due to large rocks. I get enough broken parts with low speed plowing.

CNKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Speed Plowing. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Speed plowing what's that? With a plow matched to a letter series tractor at a decent depth you are going to have a full load in 2nd gear, rarely in third.

IH fan
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Speed Plowing. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CNKS wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:18:46 11/06/12) Speed plowing what's that? With a plow matched to a letter series tractor at a decent depth you are going to have a full load in 2nd gear, rarely in third.

I didn't know they did that here in the US... thought that was a Euopean thing. I can tell by some of the posts they do not know what you were alluding to with "speed plowing"... Google it or go to You Tube, there are some crazy videos on them. Big Fords (or NH) seem to be the big ticket on the ones I've seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TczQZUboe0

Last edited by IH fan on Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:57 am; edited 1 time in total
rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Speed Plowing. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

IH fan wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:55:14 11/07/12)
CNKS wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:18:46 11/06/12) Speed plowing what's that? With a plow matched to a letter series tractor at a decent depth you are going to have a full load in 2nd gear, rarely in third.

I didn't know they did that here in the US... thought that was a Euopean thing. I can tell by some of the posts they do not know what you were alluding to with "speed plowing"... Google it or go to You Tube, there are some crazy videos on them. Big Fords (or NH) seem to be the big ticket on the ones I've seen.

I've seen a few of those youtube videos. What I don't understand is why anyone, in their right mind, would want to do it, but then, obviously those folks are NOT in their right mind.

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Speed Plowing. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Why would anyone want to do that? Why would anyone want to do ANY type of racing?

Is there any form of racing that you enjoy? Dirt oval? NASCAR? Drag racing? Motocross? Tour de France? New York Marathon? Snowmobile? Hill climb? TRACTOR PULLING?

Speed plowing is just another form of racing, and the reasons people do it are the same reasons as for any other type of racing.

1. For the thrill/rush/challenge.
2. Because you can.

It's not like they intend to plant crops after a speed plowing contest. They'll work the field over again with proper equipment first. Duh.

IH fan
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Speed Plowing. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

mkirsch wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:24:10 11/07/12) Why would anyone want to do that? Why would anyone want to do ANY type of racing?

Is there any form of racing that you enjoy? Dirt oval? .

I take it you've never been to the Knoxville Nationals??? Very Happy

sd pete
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Speed Plowing. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How does one speed plow with an M?

IH fan
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Speed Plowing. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

SD Pete wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:22:33 11/07/12) How does one speed plow with an M?

Build an 80 HP "pulling tractor", then pull a 2x14" plow in 5th gear Laughing

Lucid
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Speed Plowing. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

IH fan wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:55:14 11/07/12) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TczQZUboe0

That's crazy! Had my sound system on.

The Dukester
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Speed Plowing. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I always thought that plowing in 3rd gear wide open throttle with my Super M and 3-16's was pretty fast, but working at two jobs made it kinda necessary sometimes to "get 'er done". The old Super M had 4 1/8 bore sleeves and pistons and was well tuned and developed nearly 60 hp.

This speed plowing looks like something people with too much money and lotsa' time on their hands wouold do.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.