Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4320 vs chisel plow

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: 4320 vs chisel plow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am in the market for a chisel plow with the disc gang on the front. The 4320 has new loaded 18.4x34 firestones and about 40% tread duals.I now pull a 5-18 john deere 3200 moldboard plow without much trouble in 4th gear without the duals. I'm thinking a 7 shank glencoe or krause is in my future. What do you guys think.

Dalet
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 4320 vs chisel plow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 4440 with a 7 shank and sometimes have to lift or shift down. It will depend on your soil. I have river bottom land.

larryanderson
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: 4320 vs chisel plow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Depth will make a big difference and the type of shanks [twisted are usually on Glencoe Soil Savers].Most 4320 are around 120 H.P+.The 34 in rubber doesnt give the traction of 38s so I would say nine shanks or less would be about right.Anything larger and slippage would be an issue.They work best at around 5 M.P.H.+.I know they make them in seven but I havent seen many.A lot of good older equiptment went to the salvage yards for scrap.The addition of MFD on the 50 series made a 125H.P. tractor pull the same load as a 150H.P.+ 2 wd.Slippage in excess of 10% is wasted energy.I have seen 14ft. chisels behind 4020s but they are only going about 6in deep if that.

rockyridgefarm
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: 4320 vs chisel plow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Agree on the 7 shank rec. I tried to pull a 9 shank Brillion disk chisel with a 4430 and it just didn't like it. I've since got a later model 7 shank Glencoe Soil Saver disk chisel and the 4430 likes it better. I'm using 4 inch twisted shanks on mine. I understand you can also buy 3 inch shanks if it pulls too hard.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.