Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

car head lights

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johndeeregreg
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: car head lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

not really tractor related, but transportation yes

i have an 06 chrysler sebring and im not real impressed with the brightness of the head lights at night. has anyone used those hid kits and are they worth 130 plus dollars? or any other options to make them brighter?

if i hold the high/low beam switch back when switching from high to low i think it has both beams on at that time, then it isnt so bad, but i dont want to make the bulbs hot and burn them out or something, and im not going to drive holding the switch back all the time either.

JDPHIL

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: car head lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had the same problem with my dodge pickup I got new bulbs at walmart SILVERSTARS saw them advertised on TV they are brighter.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: car head lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Had the same problem on the '08 Equinox we just got rid of. I couldn't find any fault with the brightness, it's just that the light did not project out far enough. I don't think changing the bulbs would have made any difference. I think it is just a very poor design of the lens and reflectors inside the lights. We traded that Equinox for a '12 Silverado, and the difference in the headlights is literally night and day.

the tractor vet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: car head lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Myself i was never impressed with the headlights on our 03 Durango , when the one headlight burnt out i went to get a new bulb and instead of the STOCK bulb i went with the Silver Stars and change both . Then i took it out on a back road and readjusted them Now you can see better then you could see on high beam with the stock bulbs and you do not blind the other guy on low beams , when on high OH MY will they light up the road.

Brad Buchanan
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: car head lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey Greg.

Cars and trucks are limited in the wattage that is allowed in headlights. Anything more than 55 watts is not allowed.

From what I have seen most of those 'special' and expensive bulbs are just a different color i.e. white or bluish and tend to bounce back fog or snow at the driver while blinding oncoming traffic.

You might try the old motorcycle trick with a pair of diodes. The idea is to wire the diode between the high and low beam wires. If installed right this allows low beam to function normally and when high beam is selected both filaments burn.

We used to pry the diodes out of a junk alternator but I'm sure you could get them from an electronic supply house or Radio Shack.

Brad

JimEvans
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: car head lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have done that with my 04 Chevy pickup. $1 worth of diodes from Radio shack and now when I turn on the brights, the fog lights, high beams and low beams all come on at the same time.

johndeeregreg
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: car head lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thats a good idea, never thought of using a diode. did you just splice it in on the wires at the bulb or is there a better place/way to do it?

IAtractorKid
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: car head lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have been using the Silvania Silverstar Ultras and they are significantly better than stock. Stay away from colored lights, you can look up all the info and color charts online but humans see best with white light. Also, do not concern yourself soo much with the kelvin rating of lights, you are interested in lumens...the higher the better.

I have a friend that just bought a cheap set of HID headlights and he said it was the best thing he has ever done to his truck. He says they are amazing and well worth the money! Im waiting for my current bulbs to burn out and then I will be switching to HID as well.

Cliff Nelson
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: car head lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it has plastic lenses for the headlights look closely at them for being cloudy/not clear anymore. Wife had a car with a dull look to the lenses. Didn't matter how good the bulbs were the light couldn't get out of the lens. New lenses made a big difference. My work truck with glass sealed beams gives the best light of any of our vehicles.

JimEvans
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: car head lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

johndeeregreg wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:04:43 11/07/12) thats a good idea, never thought of using a diode. did you just splice it in on the wires at the bulb or is there a better place/way to do it?

You just shove the diodes into the fuse box beside the fuses. I think one of the diodes requres a little extra wire soldered to it to reach from one fuse to another. Kind of a hokey way of doing it, but it has worked fine for at least 5 years or so.

scotc
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: car head lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I wasn't impressed with the silverstars. Now the Sylvania Extravisions, I really like.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.