Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Restoration Interest

View previous topic :: View next topic  
C.Brown
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Restoration Interest Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am looking at the market interest for starting a tractor restoration business, specializing but not limited to IH equipment. I was trying to figure out interest in the market would be and thought of asking a poll on this board.

How many of you would be interested in having a tractor or equipment restored, the cost would be similar to a typical shop, charges by the hour and the parts used.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration Interest Reply to specific post Reply with quote

C.Brown wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:55:44 11/07/12) I am looking at the market interest for starting a tractor restoration business, specializing but not limited to IH equipment. I was trying to figure out interest in the market would be and thought of asking a poll on this board.

How many of you would be interested in having a tractor or equipment restored, the cost would be similar to a typical shop, charges by the hour and the parts used.

I apologize for being the bearer of bad news, but although the interest is quite strong, most of the fun in restoring these old tractors is in doing it yourself. You MIGHT get a few takers who want some sheet metal work done, and probably a few more who are not comfortable doing the final paint but that alone will not keep the doors open.

Might work better for you if you could somehow incorporate the restoration business into a general farm machinery repair business or similar.

MI AC Parsons
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration Interest Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Then there are a very few of us who need our tractors repaired, but transportation is a big deal. If you gots lots of $$, nothing is a big deal. A lot is relative to what can be spent...and how much you need to make it worthwhile for you.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Restoration Interest Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's such a big job restoring a tractor. I don't think very many would be willing to pay for the work. From what I can see here most are apprehensive of the cost to do it themselves. If I was going to open such a business it would be primarily to restore cars and add tractors too.

redgems
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Restoration Interest Reply to specific post Reply with quote

C. Brown,
I have had the same interest, Having restored six tractors of my own.
I farm and have a mechanic that is retired and a painter that is retired. We have put our heads together for some time. The problem in my area is interest, guys like to look and dream but no one wants to spend money.
I Have tracted expenses on all my restos they are museum pieces and expenses are between 30,000.00 and 60,000.00. Engines rebuilt, rear ends gone through, tires,rims new,anything wore is machined and rebushed,Automotive quality paint,
and all the hours I spend on enternet and salvage yards trying to come up with oem parts and keep original look is not counted.
A gage to your success will be the response I will get here as to expenses. I know I'll get beat up but those are my exact expenses backed up by reciepts and ledger on my own restorations.
Now, I know if your doing this exclusivly you will find ways to do it more effecient and if your doing one particular brand you can do it more assembly line. But you'll be surprized how all those little reciepts add up.
Good Luck, Tony

B-maniac
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration Interest Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The day Barett Jackson starts a twice yearly tractor auction , then just maybe.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Restoration and Repair Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.