Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What would it be?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IaLeo

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: What would it be? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looking for a small, lightweight possibly cordless tool to drill small holes for finishing nails and other delicate nailing jobs. I break 1/16 dia. bits alot because the cordless drill is too slow and my handling is too wobbly. I have a gas powered finish nailer but I find it splits oak trim. Leo

Steve A W
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What would it be? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just cut the head off the size nail Your using
and chuck that in the drill.
It won"t break, maybe bend.
Then just chuck up another one.
Good Luck with Your project.
Steve A W

60 acre hillside
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What would it be? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Old fashioned "Yankee" push drill. Probably not find one in any store.

nys

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What would it be? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You don't mention what guage nailer you have, is it a finish nailer or brad nailer? Years ago I had the same problem and bought a brad nailer for smaller work. All window and door casing gets nailed with brads on the thin side and finish nails on outside. Caution a nailer that shoots brads and narrow crown staples has a larger anvil that makes a bigger hole and splits the wood. Since I have a bunch of Dewalt cordless tools I have the 18 volt finish nailer and brad nailer and love them and so do my guys no body uses a pneumatic gun if the Dewalts are around. Kind of tics me off when I gotta go looking for my own tools.

dandeere
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What would it be? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey IaLeo have I got a deal for you. Go to sears and ask for a nail spinner, chuck that in your drill, stick the finnish nail in the spinner and push. It leaves it about 1/4 inch up. Wack it with the hammer and set it. Done. They used to be under $5, and were made by Vermont. Dan

Zachary Hoyt
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What would it be? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Smaller the bit the higher the speed is what I was told, so I would think any cheap 2500 RPM drill would be appropriate since you wouldn't need a lot of power.
Zach

Ralph, Ohio
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What would it be? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You might want to try a Dremel tool. They come corded or cordless. It would have a lot less "leverage" & weight than a standard drill which could help in avoiding broken bits.

DiyDave

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: What would it be? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Try this, if you are hand hammering in finish nails: Turn the nail point up, on a hard surface, and dull the tip of the nail. Don't wail away on it, and bend the nail, just tap, and dull the tip flat. The flat surface will tear the wood fibers just enough to let the nail go in without splitting.

Maark

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What would it be? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Trim the head of your finish nail and chuck it in your drill, then use it to dril your holes. Use a good finish nail to complete the job.

Jason the Red
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What would it be? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Excellent tip!! Not many people know to use this method. I have used it for years and it actually kept me in a job for a while as I was the only guy that could get some chair rail installed without cracking it all over.

MeAnthony
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: What would it be? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like a nail spinner would do the trick. I have one, works nicely. I'm not sure if it would handle 1/16" nails or if there are different size spinners.

Hope this helps,

Anthony
Nail Spinner

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.