Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

remote outlet leaking on JD4240

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tobac
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:40 am    Post subject: remote outlet leaking on JD4240 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can anyone give me any clues how to stop leakage of oil from remote outlets couplings on a JD4240. All seals have been replaced, receptacles replaced, male couplings replaced. They seem to leak only when the tractor is not in use when there is no oil pressure assisting seals. They leak either coupled up to hoses or not. I have had this problem on 3020, 4020, 4430, etc. It seems to be a common problem with no real solution. It would appear that the couplings need oversized seals that will seal better when not under pressure. Any comments on others experience appreciated.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: remote outlet leaking on JD4240 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are you referring to the old style or ISO couplers?? ISO conversion kits have a history of leaking If old style factory I think it's not a common problem as I've seen many SCV's breakaway couplers that don't leak. I would think that the seals aren't being installed correctly or something has been overlooked.

tobac
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: remote outlet leaking on JD4240 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This one is ISO. I have had the same problem with JD type. Seals are the latest type and fitted by the book. Many of the 30 and 40 series tractors built in Germany have a tank to catch leaking oil which suggests problem is universal.

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: remote outlet leaking on JD4240 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It"s not uncommon to see 2 out of 3 SCV"s leak , they were such a problem that when the 50 series came out the funneled the leak away from the valve, trying to control the leak and not the problem. I have been using a quad type ring and a solid back-up ring (not the spiral kind), the quad ring that I use has 2 sealing surfaces to fit against the coupler barrel, I also use this style in the on/off arm. I will try to get a good picture of these and a special tool that I made to seat the rings posted after bit..

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: remote outlet leaking on JD4240 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The tanks/hoses you refer to is for the EPA. I own 3 different brand(COLOR) tractors and they all leak some when one connects/disconnects couplers.. But as I stated the JD ISO conversion kits have a history of leaking. Get you some 55 series SCV's. my 4255 has over 10,000 hrs and they don't leak except when connecting/disconnecting tips.

LarrySTN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: remote outlet leaking on JD4240 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The new style seals leak very much bad, I replace all the new type seals with the old O-Ring and spiral nylon back-up and have had great success. And by the way the new type seal seems to leak worse when the tractor is shut off.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: remote outlet leaking on JD4240 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On my 2 cyls. I gave up and just got extra couplers and put plugs in them and then plug those into the couplers. They seem to hold when plugged in.

Ken11487
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: remote outlet leaking on JD4240 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have found it is very easy to damage the small o rings on the lever shaft on re assembly. Especially if the washers is in the wrong location, it lets the lever shaft move too far into the case and a small "bite" can be cut from the o ring.

Deere Scotty
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: remote outlet leaking on JD4240 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just had mine rebuilt on a 3055. Tractor delivered yesterday while I was at work. Dealer did the work. Havent even been out to see it yet; but I will check today & see what goes.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.