Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

% oil life vs. miles

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greenfrog
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: % oil life vs. miles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Off the topic, but for lack of a better place to ask, and us CASE owners also drive vehicles......I have a question:
I have two Honda vehicles, the other day I had oil changed, and they wrote 15% on the windshield tag rather that the ususal 3000 mile next time to change. Is this going to be the trend? I reallly never paid much attention to oil life in the past. I was wondering if I am going to be able to go more miles than usual( Or less?) Others out there might be finding this way of measuring oil useage. In the past I think oil life was about 40-50% when my 3000 was up. In relation to tractors, will this per cent equate to hours? I was wondeering if others have been using this method? If % is better that miles , maybe we have been changing oil too often. I entertain a discussion on this...............

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: % oil life vs. miles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How do you determine what that % is? This is new to me.

Mike Groom
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: % oil life vs. miles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is no way your car computer can determine % of oil life,they are caculating by mileage on the car what they think is left to get service done on the car.Put synthetic in it which has twice the oil life and it will tell you the same thing,it can't determine the life of oil in the engine.

INCase
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: % oil life vs. miles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

well, as others mentioned the computer can't figure that out with any accuracy. its just an estimate based on miles and your driving patterns, idleing ect

% really depends on alot of things. Most importantly the quality of oil. Just because it has the API rating doesn't mean its the same as the others. all oils are NOT created equal. FOr example oil additives to control acid are the key item in oil life. Premium synthetics may be up around 12 TBN. Lower grade oils may by 6-8 TBN. HUGE difference in % life of oil. Also depends on the engine. A newer engine is less likely to contaminate the oil as fast as a well worn engine.

I'd change it where you're comfortable. Many new cars have 7-8000 change recomendations.

I run AMSOIL synthetics in my cars and change about once a year. SOme cars run about 10000/year some run up to 25000.

"Your mileage may vary"

Greenfrog
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: % oil life vs. miles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is a oil life reading on the odometer, milage, temperature read out. Just toggle it around. I am not really sure how it is reading it also. Might be measuring viscosity.

Mike in Mn.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: % oil life vs. miles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The computer takes into consideration the # of cold starts, rpm. miles, and # of gallons of fuel burned and a bunch of other sensor readings to give that percentage. Later model engines that have hot thermostats. fuel inj. etc. don't need oil changed at 3000 miles unless they are short-tripped to death and constantly under heavy load. I was a Fleet Service Manager for years and could talk for hours on the subject. I change my gas tractors every 100 hours and I run my 830 CK diesel on 15-40 Amsoil and change it every 3 years. Run my pickup and the wifes car on 5-30 Amsoil and change it once a year, don't even care about the miles. Do some oil sampling, that will tell the story. The boys and I are thinking about converting our trucks to propane, what do you all think of that, any body thought about it??

dcz3

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: % oil life vs. miles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I worked for a Major Food Company had several trucks in the Chicago Metro Area running on CNG from the dumps that surround the Metro area. I left before they had many hours on them but they were talking about oil changes in terms of year of service

Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Mike I want to hear more about the propane Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I to have been contemplating a propane ride but don't know much about the current conversions. Especially if a guy had some large storage he could do well on the price. It was 54 cents this year at Conway, KS. Tom

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.