Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1953 TEA20 technical question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt 49 TEA Australia
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: 1953 TEA20 technical question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello all I am helping a friend rebuild a 1953 tea20 standard engine, 85mm bore, 12V. When we pulled it apart we discovered some items I have never seen before and I would like to know if anybody may know why

The first item was the rear main seal, instead of the rubber split seal that feeds into the groove of the block and main bearing cap it has a worm machined in the crank and 2 cast aluminium plates that exist in place of the rubber seal, it relies totally on rotation of the crankshaft and the worm rotation to prevent oil escaping. The 2 half plates also have spiral grooves cut in them

The second item is the timing chain, it has a tensioner made of stainless steel that keeps the loose side of the chain from flapping, it pivots on a pin that goes through to the engine block at one end and the other rests against the timing case

I have worked on lots of these engines and never seen it before, does anybody have the answer, maybee parts from a vangard car or a baler engine etc, thanks Matt.

2tractors
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1953 TEA20 technical question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I recently replaced the timing chain on a 35 standard gas with no tensioner and while chasing the cause of dropping oil pressure with new pump I removed the half moon rear bearing.Seems to me someone has modified yours.

VTParts

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1953 TEA20 technical question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you need parts for the TE 20 we will be parting one out that has the standard engine.
vermontventuresllc@gmail.com
802-782-2409

Charles in Aus.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 TEA20 technical question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Matt , can you try to post a picture ? Sounds really strange! The tensioner is really odd, this could have come from a Vanguard as you suspect. Is the distributor different in any way?

Matt 49 TEA Australia
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1953 TEA20 technical question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello charles, I will go over to my mates place and photograph the parts, keep looking at this post mate, as I say I have worked on many of these and never seen before. The engine has been apart previously, it has pistons with both oil rings above the gudgeon pin which was the case for vangard car, ferguson had one oil ring at the bottom of the skirt, it also has a cylindrical oil pickup strainer attached directly to the pump.

Bob (Aust)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 TEA20 technical question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am not sure what question you are asking about the timing chain, but the Standard engine does not have a timing chain tensioner. It has a guide only.

I'll see if I can find the photo I have inside the timing case.

Bob in Oz
'53 TEA20

Matt 49 TEA Australia
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1953 TEA20 technical question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here is the crankshaft and rear main seal area, note the spiral groove in the crank and the 2 aluminium plates in place of the rubber seal

Matt 49 TEA Australia
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1953 TEA20 technical question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Bob, here is the tensioner assembly, it is pivoted at one end by a pin through to the engine block and the other end rests against the inside of the timing cover, it is very well made, not by somebody with a pair of tinsnips etc and the extra hole in the timing cover appears factory, have you ever seen this?

Matt 49 TEA Australia
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1953 TEA20 technical question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A better view of the sealing plates

Matt 49 TEA Australia
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1953 TEA20 technical question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here is the end view of the plates, all comments welcome, please let me know if you have seen this setup before, regards Matt.

John(UK)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1953 TEA20 technical question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have heard of the scroll type rear crank seal but never seen one and it certainly isn't shown in the parts list. I suspect as you do that it is from the vanguard engine along with the crankshaft, which would fit the tractor block. The tensioner on the timing chain is home-made, on the tractor you just have the chain, there is no need for a tensioner, if the chain does wear then it should be changed. Usually chains have a good life and the Governor is what may fail first and when you tear the engine down to repair that, you will see the chain and change it. The chain should be changed anyway when repairing the Governor. Using a tensioner can allow the timing to be slightly out because of the wear in the chain, there is no allowance for this. The Camshaft has infinitely variable timing that needs to be set correctly as it isn't straight forward unless you know..PS. I have just looked at a Vanguard parts list and the Crank and the rear seal are as you describe, so it would appear that they are both from the Vanguard unit..John(UK)....fergusontractors@hotmail.com

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.